How much is too much on the rack?

I'm headed down to Death Valley for the n00b ride next weekend. It will be my first trip down to the desert. (I'm a Sierra Mountains rider usually) After packing tire iron's, tubes, air, tools, zip-ties, and a gallon of gas the entire bag will weigh about 24 lbs. Of course I'll empty the gas can as soon as there is room in the tank, leaving about 17 pounds on the Borrengo rack. Does that seem like too much for the sub-frame?

I think you will be fine. I carry pretty much all you describe on my XR600 all the time. No gas though because I carry that in my 4 gallon tank. Don't forget the rider. I'm not lightweight at about 265 plus a heavy backpack. Besides Death Valley means jeep trials, not crazy singletrack.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the cycleracks unit on my 650L and have a large black tail bag affixed and my lunch box----with gear in the bag-----it has to be at least 20 lbs total.No problems at all!.If your unsure,try to keep the load as close to the back of the seat as possible---less force on the subframe.??