Sign in to follow this  

XR650L engine swap

Hi all.

My original engine is dead due to oil starvation at the top end.

I've found an engine out of a early Honda Dominator. I know on the later ones the engines are the same as the 650L but with the early dominator engines they had kick as well as electric start.

My question is has anyone else fitted this engine in their XR650L and was there enough frame clearance for the kick start?

My original bottom end is good so I can swap them over but I thought a kick start might be a good extra if it fits.

Any thoughts?

Early Dominators had kick starts? What year bike was that?

UK model is what I was thinking.

UK model is what I was thinking.

I thought the NX/Dominator was released worldwide in '88 and I thought it was the same model worldwide as well?

I thought so too, but I keep finding pictures of '88s with kickstarts...and rear disk brakes. 👍

But yes, the 650L frame will accept a kickstart. It's mostly the same as an XR600 in that area.

I think the previous owner used a gasket sealer somewhere because it found its way into the cam oil galleries.

This bike has got to be one of the longest XRL rebuilds ever. I stripped it over 2 years ago and then bought an Africa Twin for offroading (click on the link if you want to see it) http://www.flickr.com/photos/k44rll/sets/72157623651769710/show/

The XRL has had the frame powder coated, all new pivot works bearings, eibach rear spring and thats about it. She has been sat under a sheet in the shed since then but this is the year!!! (if I can find enough money)