250 4-Stroker to start Enduro.

Hey guys, greetings from Caracas Venezuela, finally decided to post a thread here, asking about an enduro bike to start with.

To make long story short, Caracas has become an unsafe city to ride on the streets, due to robbers and such, so my current bike is a BMW F650GS, pretty nice city bike to go around with, made short trips around it, go to college, from time to time rode with my GF, but, since the city is a mess now and uncertain, decided to sell it. But I still want to ride, so on an enduro bike I can have some fun with friend that have a little more experience than I.

So I ask you fellas, which Enduro bike should I start with? I'm interested in a modern 250 4-stroke bike, I've been told it's good for dirt bike noobs, it has decent power to handle with. I'm 23 y/o, 1.83m or around 6 ft tall, weigh 100Kg, so pretty much a heavy guy, the F650GS didn't seem so heavy after all.

I've ridden a Honda CRF250 on asphalt, had lots of acceleration, a KTM 560SMR (crazy sh*t, tons of power), a BMW 1150GS (comfy to long rides on highways), and my little 650GS.

Around Caracas most of the terrain to go on a dirt bike is dry mountains, in raining season turns muddy all around, so that's basically where I'll be riding, few sandy places and 0 snow at all.

Thanks again for the help, hope to hear from you soon! ­čĹŹ

If you want a 250 4-stroke for trail riding, a Yamaha WR250F would be good. The other 250 4-strokes are MX'rs. not as good for the trails.

However, I think the hot setup would be to find a 450 4-stroke off-road bike (like Honda CRF450x, Yamaha WR450, or Kaw KLX) that would have more torque in the mountains than a little 250.

Thanks for the input, I friend of mine told me that a 450 4strk would be too much for a learner's bike, but, he weighs about 70 Kg, and I'm 100Kg, so, the weigh difference might be compensated by the compensated witht the extra torque the 450 will give, rather than the 250, or I'm nuts?

Thanks for the input, I friend of mine told me that a 450 4strk would be too much for a learner's bike, but, he weighs about 70 Kg, and I'm 100Kg, so, the weigh difference might be compensated by the compensated witht the extra torque the 450 will give, rather than the 250, or I'm nuts?

Heck no, you're not "nuts"! Since you are 220 lbs (100Kg) that will make the 450 more suited to you.

Just take it easy, get used to it on easier trails first. You will love it!