handle bar help...mounting hand guards

i put on a new set of rental bars yesterday. my stock bars had acerbis hand guards. this is where the problem come, i cant get the inserts out of the end of the bars to put in my new rentals so i can mount the hands guards.

i've never installed hand guards before (they were on the bike when i bought it)

am i missing something? do i have to buy new inserts to install on my new bars?

thanks for the help!!

Why get a rental? Just go buy 'em. That way you only pay once and get to keep 'em forever.

If the bars where tapped and the inserts threaded in they may have used loctite. If so it would take some heat to loosen the loctite. It may just be easier to get some new inserts.

i put on a new set of rental bars yesterday. my stock bars had acerbis hand guards. this is where the problem come, i cant get the inserts out of the end of the bars to put in my new rentals so i can mount the hands guards.

i've never installed hand guards before (they were on the bike when i bought it)

am i missing something? do i have to buy new inserts to install on my new bars?

thanks for the help!!

Are you talking about the "expandable insert inside the handlebar?" If that's the case, you need to screw the bolt back in a little bit, then tap it the head of the bolt with a hammer and it should release.👍

i think they are expandable, i didn't put them in, but i'm pretty sure they are not threaded, i'll give it a try and also try the channel locks, i don't know why i didn't think of that:banghead:

thanks, i'll let ya know how it goes

ok, used vice grips and got the inserts out. thanks!!

but now, i don't think the inserts fit inside the renthal bars. they just seen a lil to big. do i need special ones for the renthal??? they are not fat bars or anything special.

have you ever seen over-sized grips? didn't think so. sorry i couldn't resist. all bars are 7/8 at the grips. make sure the anchors are not still jammed together and you should be able to tap them into the new bars with a hammer. use a block of wood so you don't booger up the fasteners.

also, attach the bar ends first so that the guards aren't causing oblique pressure on the inserts.