Dirt Bike Lingo 101?

I was wondering if it might be helpful to have a "Dirt Bike lingo 101" thread. I would be willing to update the first post as members submitted info. After recently returning to dirt lingo after many years away, I realized how perplexing it might be for those new to the sport to understand what's going on. This extends not just to the forums, but even as far as watching broadcasts, as many commentators use language that, if you were not an avid mx follower, you would have difficulty understanding.

Imagine for a moment you've either just purchased your first bike or are considering taking up the sport. Now take the following example:

"I enjoy watching nationals and AX, but SX is my favorite. In Dallas I watched J-law almost eat it several times in the section after the whoops. Over the dragon's back his front end nearly washed and then he cased the first double. The next pass through he nearly looped out on the double and had to panic rev to keep from endoing the triple. In an after race interview, he said arm pump was an issue, as was the fact that he ran out of tears offs thanks to all the roost from the loamy Texas dirt."

So, I was thinking it might be helpful to have an alphabetized list of at least the most commonly used terms that, outside of dirt riding, are almost never used in everyday language. Any takers?

========================================================================================

(A)

Arm Pump – The Silent Killer-If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of motocross racers, its "arm pump" – that mysterious ailment that comes on near the end of your moto, makes your arms feel like concrete blocks and your hands go numb and fly off the grips. Arm pump has been responsible for countless crashes over the years. As a former racer, I remember getting arm pump so badly I couldn’t pull the clutch lever, couldn’t pull the brake lever, couldn’t hold onto the grips and, worst of all couldn’t shut the throttle off! Arm pump ranges in severity from slightly annoying to completely debilitating. One would think that an ailment that affects almost every rider at some point in their career would be thoroughly researched by the motocross and medical communities and a solution common knowledge. Unfortunately, that has not happened and folklore at the racetrack runs rampant as to how to prevent getting rock hard forearms.

(👍

Berm - A banked corner

Blue Groove - Clay that has been packed down and dried. Basically it's as hard as Cement. It turns blue after riding on it a while.... it's basically rubber from the tires. Just like a skid mark. It's amazingly hard when dry, and unbelievably slippery when wet.

Braap - (braahp) Two stroke sound made by one's mouth; commonly used in association with getting on the gas hard; interchangeable with Bwaah/Braah; number of consecutive vowels increases as per enthusiasm.

©

Camel Back Jump - A table top with the jumping slope, landing slope or mid section that is raised above the rest of the jump. Ex. ^---, --^---, or ---^

Case - When you come up short on a gap and your rear tire lands on the backside of the landing bringing you to a dead stop instantly.

(D)

DNF - Indicates that a rider did not finish the race, typically because of a crash or mechanical issues.

DNS - Indicates that a rider did not start the race.

Double - A jump clears one gap ^-^

Dragon Back Jump - A.K.A. Gatorback, A whooped out (-refer to whoops-) ski type jump (-refer to ski jump-)

(E)

Eat it - Crash

Endo - When one goes over the bars.

(F)

(G)

Gatorback Jump - Refer to Dragon back*

G-out - when your suspension becomes compressed due to g-forces. An example of this would be riding down a hill fast with a short smooth transition up another hill. The g-force at the bottom of the transition will collapse the suspension and cause a g-out.

(H)

(I)

(J)

j-law - Jason Lawrence

(K)

(L)

Loopout - When the front end of the bike goes into an uncontrolled wheelie and back over itself as the rider falls off in disbelief.

(M)

(N)

Nose Case - When you come up an entire bike length short of a gap and your front tire hits the backside of the landing.

Nose Heavy - when you're in the air and going to land on your front tire first before the rear tire touches the ground.

(O)

(P)

Panic Rev - When you're airborne and you are nose heavy in the air, twisting the throttle wide open will cause the rear tire to spin very fast, and that will lift the nose of the bike helping you to land evenly on 2 tires.

Pile Driver - a bad crash when you land head first

Powerband - The power band of an engine refers to the range of operating speeds under which the engine is able to operate efficiently. A more precise definition of the power band: the rpm range where an engine makes at least 75% of its maximum torque.

(Q)

®

Regrip - leads to...WFO

Roost - The rock and dirt debris that one's back tire kicks into the face of the rider behind when on the gas.

Rossi - Ross Maeda, owner of Enzo Racing, a highly respected suspension shop in California. Was paralyzed in a crash in 2009, an event that led to the foundation of the rossi project.

(S)

SNAFU - situation normal all F****d up

SuMo - Short for supermoto, A dirtbike with sticky 17" tires for street/pavement use

Super pumped - Stoked

SX - super cross

(T)

Tear Offs - Thin plastic "lenses" that go over your goggles. when the outermost one gets dirty you just rip of off and continue riding with more layers of perfectly clean goggles!

Table Top - A jump with no space between take off and landing

Triple - A jump that clears 2 gaps ^-^-^

(U)

Uncork - Removing the baffle in the exhaust to increase airflow. Generally done along with jetting and opening up the air-box. Done correctly this will increase HP.

(V)

(W)

Whip - bringing the back end of your bike up and to the side during a jump

Whisky throttle - Accidental handful of throttle that knocks you on your a....

WFO - Wide F*!% Open (with regards to the throttle)

woopty do's - what retards call whoops

(X)

(Y)

(Z)

Edited by Ascend75
  • Like 1

Very good idea, Lets get this thing going!

(A) Arm Pump – The Silent Killer

If there are two words that strike fear into the hearts of motocross racers, its "arm pump" – that mysterious ailment that comes on near the end of your moto, makes your arms feel like concrete blocks and your hands go numb and fly off the grips. Arm pump has been responsible for countless crashes over the years. As a former racer, I remember getting arm pump so badly I couldn’t pull the clutch lever, couldn’t pull the brake lever, couldn’t hold onto the grips and, worst of all couldn’t shut the throttle off! Arm pump ranges in severity from slightly annoying to completely debilitating. One would think that an ailment that affects almost every rider at some point in their career would be thoroughly researched by the motocross and medical communities and a solution common knowledge. Unfortunately, that has not happened and folklore at the racetrack runs rampant as to how to prevent getting rock hard forearms.

"I enjoy watching nationals and AX, but SX is my favorite. In Dallas I watched J-law almost eat it several times in the section after the whoops. Over the dragon's back his front end nearly washed and then he cased the first double. The next pass through he nearly looped out on the double and had to panic rev to keep from endoing the triple. In an after race interview, he said arm pump was an issue, as was the fact that he ran out of tears offs thanks to all the roost from the loamy Texas dirt."

this is a good idea, but the OP (original poster 👍 ) needs to stay on the ball and update the thread very often so it doesnt turn into the thread where the guy weighed the tires... its no fun when you have to sift through 20 pages of nonsense just to find what youre looking for, it should all be in the first or 2nd post in a properly made/stickied thread. and you also should have reserved the 2nd and 3rd post... if this does get off the ground youre probably going to need more space than 1 post provides!

ps: nice quote. its so true. announcers trying to act cool by throwing in every MX related term he can possibly throw in.

this is a good idea, but the OP (original poster🤣 ) needs to stay on the ball and update the thread very often so it doesnt turn into the thread where the guy weighed the tires... its no fun when you have to sift through 20 pages of nonsense just to find what youre looking for, it should all be in the first or 2nd post in a properly made/stickied thread. and you also should have reserved the 2nd and 3rd post... if this does get off the ground youre probably going to need more space than 1 post provides!

ps: nice quote. its so true. announcers trying to act cool by throwing in every MX related term he can possibly throw in.

after a certain amount of time the forum will not allow post updates. I thought that this was going to be fixed but apparently not. It's ruining threads like the yz faq thread in the yammy 2t section.

they need to change the rules to allow unlimited post edits!!!! Mr. Bosch, you listening?

👍

© Crash. Needs no explanation

(E) Endo. When one goes over the bars.

® Roost. The rock and dirt debris that one's back tire kicks into the face of the rider behind when on the gas.

(L) Loopout. when the front end of the bike goes into an uncontrolled wheelie and back over itself as the rider falls off in disbelief.

That's all I got right now. Leave it to some others to fill in.

(👍 Braap

braahp Two stroke sound made by one's mouth; commonly used in association with getting on the gas hard; interchangeable with Bwaah/Braah; number of consecutive vowels increases as per enthusiasm.

i never did figure out what a "g-out" was.
I think that refers to a situation where you are going at a good clip, and you approach a downhill and catch air or nearly catch air, like the ground just fell.

*** is "Blue Groove" ?

I just looked it up and here's what I found (TT post from '04):

Blue Groove is clay that has been packed down and dried. Basically it's as hard as Cement. It turns blue after riding on it a while.... it's basically rubber from the tires. Just like a skid mark. It's amazingly hard when dry, and unbelievably slippery when wet.