Sign in to follow this  

01 cr125 air intake

A while ago I was asking on how to get the most out of my 01 125 I received a link and I read in there to drill holes in my air box, because the 01 cr125 starve for air I want to do this but I want to make sure it's the right thing to do. So if anyone has done this I would like like to here your input. And if any one thinks a bad idea I would like to here your input.

YES do it! add the plastic screen inserts and also install the 05 intake boot. The bike will sound and perform a lot better

Intake-Vents-600.jpg

e bay for sure but i have seen them on other on line stores, i think i have seen them at rocky mountain and they where made by uni

has any one done this and how many should i drill in Im doing it today, I bought a pack of 6 is 3 each side to much, will having that much air be a bad thing.

i put 3 per side and on the right side made sure I went through the inner plastic also -02 bike

i think that's what i am going to do as well, how do you like it, can you fell a difference.

A while ago I was asking on how to get the most out of my 01 125 I received a link and I read in there to drill holes in my air box, because the 01 cr125 starve for air I want to do this but I want to make sure it's the right thing to do. So if anyone has done this I would like like to here your input. And if any one thinks a bad idea I would like to here your input.

the air box mod will make a difference. you should also throw in a 05 intake boot.

Another tip that should apply to most bikes: The filter basket's webbing doesn't always line up with the air boot webbing when you tighten the filter bolt. That means you get double the restriction from the webbing. As you are tightening the bolt grab the webbing of both the boot and filter by pushing in on the filter to align it. My own CR125 was way off. My two cents is that 125's don't have a lot of suction from the piston so anything you can do to improve air getting into the motor can make a big difference...

Ok, to everybody who has done the airbox mod, I must know one thing. How often do you have to clean the filters in the inserts you put in your airbox?

I just widened my # plate vents, and didn't notice much difference in filter maintenance.

Most riders will think nothing of spending hundreds of dollars on all kinds of performance parts and never stop to think about the stuff they can do for free that really works.

A couple more free things you can do if you want more air... with a pair of cutters you can clip out three of the 'spokes' of the filter basket and one of the air boot bracket. When you're done you'll have three spokes (instead of six) that match in both the filter basket and air boot bracket at the 7 o'clock, 11 o'clock, and 3 o'clock positions. Also, some of the filters overlap the sealing area into the intake so it helps to trim the excess filter material there.

Bold move on the filter cage spokes, I like it.

I asked the change rate on those filter plugs because if there was any significant airflow through them, they would dirty up quickly. The fact that they never plug up would only mean that there is no airflow through it.

I asked the change rate on those filter plugs because if there was any significant airflow through them, they would dirty up quickly. The fact that they never plug up would only mean that there is no airflow through it.

they fall out usually. so then you just have the plastic grid/vent there

I agree that opening up your airbox may have benefits but stuffing those foam inserts in the holes negates all of those benefits.