Need input, 09 KTM 200XC or 09YZ250F

Sold my 08 KTM 125sx and looking for a new bike with a little more power and that has trail friendly suspension out of the box.

I can work on bikes so maintenance isn't a huge issue..

I ride mainly trails with the occasional rip on my friends track. Iam a average rider.

The KTM 200xc is used, 15 hours and has a Spark arrestor, glide plate and bark busters. Looks brand new.

or

A brand new white 09 YZ250F

Having trouble make a decision and both bikes are the same price..$5300 otd

Which is better for my needs? I appreciate any info from the local NWet riders!

Thanks, Ryan

The KTM is a 09, What kind of prices should I be looking at for a used 09 200XC?

Ive been following the market for a while on craigslist and dealerships and I can't even find any 09 used 200XC and on the yamaha I think the best that could be had is $5k out the door..Leftover 09 200XC's are going for $6400 OTD or more..

If you guys are getting em cheaper let me know where to go.?

Thanks, Ryan

I tried finding that username so I could pm him but said invalid name...

Anymore input for me? I will be buying with cash in hand unless I buy new and take advantage of the low apr's then payoff early. $5k max budget.

Thanks, Ryan

The KTM is a 09, What kind of prices should I be looking at for a used 09 200XC?

Ive been following the market for a while on craigslist and dealerships and I can't even find any 09 used 200XC and on the yamaha I think the best that could be had is $5k out the door..Leftover 09 200XC's are going for $6400 OTD or more..

Thanks, Ryan

If you want the '09 YZ250F then you should buy from these guys. $3,800 + $300 in fees +$400 to ship. So that's $4,500 before taxes so about $5,000 total.

A popular member here bought a nice Husqvarna from them and had it shipped. He said they were a good dealer. The white YZ-F is a scene to behold.?

Ride Motorsports has '09 YZ250Fs listed too ($4,500) but they charge you $1,000 in setup and then charge taxes on top of that. IMO, buy a used YZ-F if you want that bike. Hell, buy a used KTM if you want that bike. I won't say which is better because nobody will agree. ?

Thanks Shrub, I got Ride down to $5300 OTD for blue but Iam stuck on white...

I would buy used but can't find anything good/local/priced right...

If I can get a white 09 yz250f for $5k flat is that a fair deal??

The KTM would be sweet but they guy is stuck at $5300, Thats alot of money for used but all I can find price wise for new is $6500-7K+which is way too much!! He has $500 in extras on it...

I would think the 2-stroke would be less time and $ for maintenance. The YZ would obviously be better at the track, but I would figure out what you do most and go with that. Either way, sounds like you'll be having fun with a new to you bike so I'm jealous!

Let us know how it goes and of course, post a pic of the sweet thing.

Most my riding is on trails so the KTM might be the bike. They hold there value better and from my reading will be less maintenance/cheaper to keep in top shape.

If I could get it for $5k it would of been done but it's not local so thats the issue.

New dilemma is a 09 200XC vs. 09/2010 200XCW

Hahahahaha

Thanks Shrub, I got Ride down to $5300 OTD for blue but Iam stuck on white...

I would buy used but can't find anything good/local/priced right...

If I can get a white 09 yz250f for $5k flat is that a fair deal??

The KTM would be sweet but they guy is stuck at $5300, Thats alot of money for used but all I can find price wise for new is $6500-7K+which is way too much!! He has $500 in extras on it...

KBB says 4985 for the 09 KTM200XC so if has $500 in extras that are worthwhile to you - it's a fair deal. I agree with the local market on bike prices. I got a good used bike from the mid west shipped for free. IMO, I wouldn't buy a YZ250F new even at that price since so many people are unloading low hour ones for cheap. The YZF and the KTM are both very reliable so I would avoid buying new and get low hour used instead. You can always report the purchase price lower on a used bike which will save you some tax money - not that I would know about that. ?

Most my riding is on trails so the KTM might be the bike. They hold there value better and from my reading will be less maintenance/cheaper to keep in top shape.

If I could get it for $5k it would of been done but it's not local so thats the issue.

New dilemma is a 09 200XC vs. 09/2010 200XCW

Hahahahaha

Yes, the KTMs do hold re-sale value better and require much less effort to setup. I am in the minority because I buy used cheap low hour Yamaha MX bikes. I mean what business do they have out on the trails anyway??

With some work, the yzf can be made into a woods bike. That is what I did a few yrs back to my 04 250f. Suspension will need some work to make it supple in the woods.

However, the KTM as you said is ready to go woods bashing and has a more trail friendly suspension, easier to rebuild top-end, etc...plus you can upgrade the stator, hook some lights on and go night riding. The yz is not capable of this unless you run a dead-loss lighting system. I plan on doing quite a few night rides at Taneum this summer...less chance of head-on collisions.?

19" rear tires suck in the woods and rocks, Also the YZ will need an expensive Muffler to keep the bark down and S/A Legal.

All that being said, My WR426 needed wheel bearings a while back so took my kids 07 YZ250f to walker and had a blast on that thing.

I weigh 260+ and it hauled ass!

Eric

19" rear tires suck in the woods and rocks, Also the YZ will need an expensive Muffler to keep the bark down and S/A Legal.

All that being said, My WR426 needed wheel bearings a while back so took my kids 07 YZ250f to walker and had a blast on that thing.

I weigh 260+ and it hauled ass!

Eric

I weigh 250 and my new to me YZ250F also moves in the woods. That used KTM is a fair deal. Not a great price. Check out Tasky's or Bill's MC Plus in Salem. You'd be surprised what sort of woods bike deals you can find for $5,500 at those dealers.

a new 200 is $5895.00 then tax and whatever bs...... back the tax and upgrades out of the used 09 xc and your roughly $4525.00 for what is basically a new bike. i would buy it... if you can get another hundred or two off then bonus:thumbsup: there is two 2008 200's on my craigs right now both pretty low hours for 4500 or 4795..... 200's dont pop up a whole lot.

Thanks, Ryan

I think that's a good deal, maybe those guys haven't shopped new bikes in a few years, and as you noted, newer used KTM's are just plain few and far between.Of course my vote goes to the Orange bike, you would have to spend an additional $1000 to bring the yamaha up to woods speed.