TOOOO much Vibration

INFO: 2006 DR650 14,000ish miles

Right... I've had enough trying to sort this out myself, and frankly I don't know which is going to give first: the wall in front of my face, or my forehead. As such I've decided to query the best source of ideas/knowledge I know of, my muddy, brash mates on the DR board. So here it goes...

Bit of back story for context, not to much to bore: I am about half way down (currently in Cartegena, Columbia) from Seattle to TDF and about 6 months in. While in Honduras I decided to take a jaunt out to Utila (bay islands off the coast) to learn to dive, leaving my bike at a hostel in La Cieba. I thought I was only going to be out there for 3 days, but as it goes I wasn't back for a month.

Excited to return, feet itchy as every, wanting to hit the road, I couldn't wait to get back aboard. But.... turn key, check neutral, choke on, starter go..... No turn over! EFF! Well long story short, I adjusted valves, changed oil, cleaned air filter, new fuel, drained carb... even called Jesse at Kientech and asked him his opinions. Anyways, she finally started to turnover, but once it did, it was the scariest metal on metal banging sounds and would immediately die as soon as I let of the throttle. Well I tried this, teeth grinding nervous, three or so times, and about the fourth time things started to smooth out and sound better. Well, let it warm up for a bit and everything seemed, fine-ish.

Thing is, ever since that rough start, I have been experiencing considerably more vibrations. I used to be able to cruise for hours at 65ish without noticing anything, but now, after just an hour or so, my hands are tingly and numbish, even tingling toes from the foot pegs. I know I know, its a thumper, but this is way different then before I parked it. In addition, I've noticed a slight power loss, and seems to be heating up faster and hotter... read: right leg burning hot.

So after talking to Jesse at Kientech, and Suzuki mechanic in Panama City, a couple of possibilities have come to the surface.

1) The bearing in the clutch basket could be going, which would explain added vibes, more heat, and powerloss.... Thing is I've ridden no less than 2500 miles since this problem started, and it seems the bearing would've completely shit the bed or gotten considerably worse, which it doesn't seem to have.

2) I don't have my manual in front of me, its on the boat with the bike, wont get it off till tuesday... as such this may be a stupid question. Could something have gone wrong with the Counterbalance? I know the old DR's were chain driven and occasionally needed adjusting, but correct me if I am wrong/retarded, I thought the newer DR's were gear driven.

3) Could something in the head (piston, valves, etc) have corroded from sitting so long close to the ocean and sort of seized, causing the rough start and now damage? Scratched walls? Bad rings? Piston v. Valve? Mind you I've adjusted valves within specs and don't seem to be burning any oil. I plan to get a compression test soon as bike comes off boat.

Those are the few ideas I've had. But still confused. Get this though. Just so happens a bike mechanic happens to be staying at the same hostel as me and has agreed to help me diagnose and hopefully repair my dirty beast once I get it off the boat. Not just any mechanic either... Andreas "George The Greek" Georgeades (http://www.duccutters.com/AndreasGeorgeades-Andreas.tpl\) , former grand prix champion and builder of ridiculous customs including Ferrari engined bikes... so hopefully between you lads and George the Greek I'll be able to sort this out, thus saving my forehead and the wall. Thanks guys! Talk to you all soon.

If the bike was running fine when you left it at the hostel, but started behaving badly when you returned, I'd suspect someone was out thrashing it. Or maybe it was deliberately sabotaged. I'm not a paranoid type, but engines tend not to break when they've been sitting. I could understand fuel going bad in a month if you got a bad batch to start with, but you've ruled that part out. I guess you've figured that the only real solution is to open her up and see what you find. Did you find debris in the oil filter?

INFO: 2006 DR650 14,000ish miles

Right... I've had enough trying to sort this out myself, and frankly I don't know which is going to give first: the wall in front of my face, or my forehead. As such I've decided to query the best source of ideas/knowledge I know of, my muddy, brash mates on the DR board. So here it goes...

Bit of back story for context, not to much to bore: I am about half way down (currently in Cartegena, Columbia) from Seattle to TDF and about 6 months in. While in Honduras I decided to take a jaunt out to Utila (bay islands off the coast) to learn to dive, leaving my bike at a hostel in La Cieba. I thought I was only going to be out there for 3 days, but as it goes I wasn't back for a month.

Excited to return, feet itchy as every, wanting to hit the road, I couldn't wait to get back aboard. But.... turn key, check neutral, choke on, starter go..... No turn over! EFF! Well long story short, I adjusted valves, changed oil, cleaned air filter, new fuel, drained carb... even called Jesse at Kientech and asked him his opinions. Anyways, she finally started to turnover, but once it did, it was the scariest metal on metal banging sounds and would immediately die as soon as I let of the throttle. Well I tried this, teeth grinding nervous, three or so times, and about the fourth time things started to smooth out and sound better. Well, let it warm up for a bit and everything seemed, fine-ish.

Thing is, ever since that rough start, I have been experiencing considerably more vibrations. I used to be able to cruise for hours at 65ish without noticing anything, but now, after just an hour or so, my hands are tingly and numbish, even tingling toes from the foot pegs. I know I know, its a thumper, but this is way different then before I parked it. In addition, I've noticed a slight power loss, and seems to be heating up faster and hotter... read: right leg burning hot.

So after talking to Jesse at Kientech, and Suzuki mechanic in Panama City, a couple of possibilities have come to the surface.

1) The bearing in the clutch basket could be going, which would explain added vibes, more heat, and powerloss.... Thing is I've ridden no less than 2500 miles since this problem started, and it seems the bearing would've completely shit the bed or gotten considerably worse, which it doesn't seem to have.

2) I don't have my manual in front of me, its on the boat with the bike, wont get it off till tuesday... as such this may be a stupid question. Could something have gone wrong with the Counterbalance? I know the old DR's were chain driven and occasionally needed adjusting, but correct me if I am wrong/retarded, I thought the newer DR's were gear driven.

3) Could something in the head (piston, valves, etc) have corroded from sitting so long close to the ocean and sort of seized, causing the rough start and now damage? Scratched walls? Bad rings? Piston v. Valve? Mind you I've adjusted valves within specs and don't seem to be burning any oil. I plan to get a compression test soon as bike comes off boat.

Those are the few ideas I've had. But still confused. Thanks guys! Talk to you all soon.

Well the rough start wasn't so much a screech which you said would indicate starter, but more of a metal on metalish sort of sound, and it felt as though there was no balancing, vibration with every ignition, then smoothing out about 10 sec later. Is there anyway the balancing can slip? Timing chain?How hot is too hot for a DR. I can't even touch my case after riding an hour without getting a blister? Whats the meaning of all this!!! Thanks again boys, really neeeeeeed to sort this out.

Was the DR not turning over? if it did not what exactly do you think got it cranking? Was it trying? the fixes you list don't appear to be electrical/starter related. I am just trying to separate some sort of seizure from a starter issue.

As for hot, on a hot day the DR will cook your right leg when all is working properly. The oil temp can reach 240F or higher, so I would think that will burn your finger