My CA Street legal TTR125L / YZ Conversion

Hello, I just got my TTR conversion running and have ridden it a couple of times.

If anyone has questions just ask, because I learned a lot from this forum.

The frame is gusseted and reinforced and a standard YZ85 swingarm was lengthened 1" for the 16" rear wheel.

DSC03925.jpg

DSC03929.jpg

DSC03932.jpg

DSC03936.jpg

Custom chain adjusters were made due to the solid end on the extended swingarm.

I had the frame powdercoated satin black.

DSC03940.jpg

DSC03941.jpg

Here's the semi finished product, as I still have to get the suspension dialed in and the bars might be a bit low. Speaking of bars, that was one of the biggest challenges for me. I wanted fatbars but they don't come in a tall enough bend and I didn't want to use risers because it would push the bars too far back. I didn't want to use rox risers either (too funky).

So I knew it would have to be 7/8" bars and the tallest one without much sweep that would fit my bar mounts was the Renthal CRF150r adult bend (816) . I still had to use risers that are taller than my liking. The XR50 and other tall mini bars didn't have a wide enough clamping area.

P1000298.jpg

P1000300.jpg

P1000301.jpg

P1000299.jpg

P1000304.jpg

P1000311.jpg

P1000313.jpg

Some of the mods are:

LED turn/tail/brake lts. horn

opened airbox with K&N filter and drilled out filter holder for more airflow

lightened flywheel

YZ80 carb (huge improvement)

Rewound stator

HID headlight

Tag triple clamps

BBR shifter

Rad wheelset

Devol skidplate mounted to BBR frame cradle

Thicker, stronger bolts for the frame cradle (the long, 8mm bolt at the bottom rear was bent when I removed it)

YZ85 footpegs, although I have some Moose pegs that will be installed soon

Carbon Fiber Works frame guards and fork wraps

I used a cut down radiator hose for the intake tube, Gates or Carquest #22661. Thanks to TT member Wyatt as I used 3m seam sealer like he did and it works great. Be sure to sand and degrease everything before applying.

I used a stainless braided CR500 front brake hose but had to bend the ends a little bit by using a heat gun. I made a stainless bracket which I riveted to the fork guard and bolted a Fastline brake line clamp to it so I could have Honda routing.

There is a lot to this process in time and money but in the end it's worth it for me. I have an awesome bike for tight trails and I can ride it right out of my garage. I have big bikes too, but as many of you know, these little bikes are a whole different kind of fun.

When the engine gets tired I will be installing a BBK, probably the Kitaco, and maybe have some porting done.

Thanks for all the help I received on here.

Edited by DaleK
added mods
  • Like 1

Awesome post, your bike looks perfect. I wish I could get a plate! cleanest ttr125 ive seen.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I have seen some with plates, but you have to move fast on them and be prepared to pay.

BTW, it's not clean anymore. 👍

Yea when I was in the market, I was looking at plated ones but the cost was just to much.It was like $1800 for a 03 kick start that had some miles on it

I paid $900 for my 05 LE with less than 100 miles on it.

Plates are like gold these days!

WOW im planning on modding my completely stock 05 le this summer and i only hope it looks that good! but im on more of a budget so im just planning on putting the fast50's hd springs front and rear, bbr plate, flywheel lightened, not sure what carb to put on. how hard was it to get that yz 80 carb jetted right? What kind of handgaurds do you have on there? any other tips? and finally how much was all that by the time you were done?! NICE BIKE! 👍

WOW im planning on modding my completely stock 05 le this summer and i only hope it looks that good! but im on more of a budget so im just planning on putting the fast50's hd springs front and rear, bbr plate, flywheel lightened, not sure what carb to put on. how hard was it to get that yz 80 carb jetted right? What kind of handgaurds do you have on there? any other tips? and finally how much was all that by the time you were done?! NICE BIKE! 🙂

The carb is a Mikuni VM26. They came on YZ80's up to the year 2001 I believe. After that they came with a Kehein which may not fit as well, I'm not positive.

Anyway, that carb bolts right on the TTR although I did mill about 2mm of the engine side for a perfect fit, but it's not necessary. Jetting was surprisingly easy, I guess I lucked out.

The pilot jet is a M28/1001, #20, and it may be a tad big at higher elevations. The main is a 4/042. I had a 140 and a 150 but neither were perfect so I drilled the 140 out to .049 or 1.25mm, which works perfect. The needle is a 5H22 with the clip in the #1 position and again, at higher elevations it's a little rich. I may get the next smallest needle and try that. The slide is a #3, and I may try a #2.

It's so easy to change the jetting on these that I think it's worth experimenting. I got the carb off ebay for $13 shipped, quite the deal, and I highly recommend it. I have read of people having trouble getting it to work.It is like a different bike with this carb though, provided you have opened the airbox and have a high flow filter. I drilled a series of 3/8" holes in my filter holder and it definitely flows more air.

The handguards are Moose minibike barkbusters with the large shields. They only come in silver so I had them anodized black.

As far as cost, I just added up everything that I could think of that I've spent on it AFTER buying it. It's a staggering $3700 👍🤣 and I'm sure I'm forgetting things. I'm not done yet as I still have suspensin $ to spend. That number is offset a little bit by the TTR & YZ parts I sold, so I could probably subtract a few hundred dollars.

Thanks for the compliments.

Very impressive bike.

Thanks!!

socalxr, do you have any knowledge of the differences between the BBR and Kitaco BBK. Performance wise are they about the same?

I have been told that the Kitaco is much higher quality (made in Japan vs.China).

I've searched and can't find much info on the Kitaco BBK for the TTR125.

Thanks