Missing Spoke

Heres my problem. I bought a 2001 kx 85 for my kids. While going over the bike after I got it home I noticed its missing a rear spoke. Am I able to replace one spoke? Or do I need to take the wheel into a wheel shop and have it replaced and get the wheel trued?

Or... can I leave it for now? My kids have just started riding, and the wont be doing any motocross (jumping), just trails and woods riding. Next winter I want to tear the bike down and freshen everything up, and take care of the spoke at that time.

What would you do?

Thanks in advance.

is the nipple still hanging out of the rim? if so, did the spoke come unscrewed from the nipple or did it break? if the nipple is still there and useable then i'd just throw a new spoke in, snug it up, and call it good. if the nipple is missing then it's your call on whether to put in the work right now or not. if the kids are just putting around the yard then you'd probably be ok letting it go for now if the rest of the spokes are tight, the problem is, when you remove one spoke it lessens the tension on the counter-spokes it works in conjunction with. i'd pull the tire personally, if the nipple's missing, and fix it correctly.

have you checked the rim for being true? tape a pencil to the swingarm/forks, whatever, and spin the wheel to check for trueness. if it's ok or close and not causing brake drag then don't sweat the truing if not then get it done if you can't do it yourself.

good luck.

Be prepared for sticker shock. I just replaced some spokes on a KDX 200 rear wheel and it cost me $45 for 4 spokes and 6 nipples from Kawasaki. I couldnt find a source that sold individual spokes other than the dealer. A full set of aftermarket spokes is $105 but I didnt want to wait. Had to ride, you know what I mean?