Sign in to follow this  

Vulnerable Transmission Casing.

Hi

I am relatively new to the DRZ400 forum, so be gentle.

I have three of the 2009 DRZ's which I am about to start using for a guided trail tour company in Spain

I have been told, that the rear brake lever was designed by a moron, and is particularly fond of puncturing the casing. I indeed tapped the brake pedal on a rock last week, and dented the casing.

Are they really that bad?

What can I do to sort it out??

Do I need to go to an after market casing cover/protector???

Many Thanks

Edited by E.Marquez
SPAM removed

Yes they are , ive got the Eline carbon covers these puppies stops anything 👍 also try filing off the sharp courner this helps a lot.

DSC06576.jpg

Hi

I am relatively new to the DRZ400 forum, so be gentle.

I have three of the 2009 DRZ's which I am about to start using for a guided trail tour company in Spain (www.ridersofthelosttrail.com).

I have been told, that the rear brake lever was designed by a moron, and is particularly fond of puncturing the casing. I indeed tapped the brake pedal on a rock last week, and dented the casing.

Are they really that bad?

What can I do to sort it out??

Do I need to go to an after market casing cover/protector???

Many Thanks

Thumper Talk sells the aluminum side covers for both sides, they are both vulnerable. the shifter can and will break through the mag cover.

The left side is more prone top damage by the shifter. Have a look at the back side of the shifter and you will see it has sharp edges that can open the left cover like a Cookie cutter. Round the edges over with a file or sander. Also add some case savers, like ones from ThumperTalk or another manufacture.. These really do help out on saving the covers. Keeping in mind it is a 300 pound bike, and if you drop it hard enough on a solid surface striking the levers, it can damage the case covers even with a added protector on it.

The covers on both sides of the motor that are vulnerable to the brake and shift lever are both thin magnesium castings. They will not take a lot of abuse. Suzuki had to put some weight saving in their add campaign so the side and top covers got Mg. The brake and shift levers themselves are forged aluminum and quite tough.

Yes they are , ive got the Eline carbon covers these puppies stops anything 👍 also try filing off the sharp courner this helps a lot.

DSC06576.jpg

Hey Packman

Where in the UK did yoiu get the Eline covers???

Many Thanks

If the casings do go, then what would you recommend replacing them with???

Thanks

the ignition cover is only made by suzuki and must be obtained from them.for the clutch cover an aluminum unit is manufactured by sfb in several colors,or,replace with the suzuki magnesium again but this time include the cfc or tt case saver for added protection.

you may also want to look into installing a heavy duty skid plate as well for even better protection against rocks or if the bikes will often be taking a fall.

If you are going to be renting these bikes...they are going to take a lot more abuse than normal. Put all the protection on them that you can.

Anyone got a picture of this engine case breach?

I hear about it, but never see what one looks like.