Sign in to follow this  

XR400 Setup

Hi all...have been a member without a ride for years, but today fulfilled a longtime (since I was 8 and am now 41) dream . Bought a 2001 XR400 in great condition. Basically stock but legal on-road here in Michigan.

Anyway, I need some advice on basic set-up. I am a big guy, 6'3", 245lbs. What do you recommend as far as suspension settings. Should also note I am a beginner as have only rode an XR250 a handful of times.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks...

John

STock front end is very soft, 150lb rider soft. Can check Racetech, but you need .47 fork springs which will make a huge difference. Onroad too.

Rear is a 10.0 and for your weight they say an 11.0 is ideal, so if you aren't fast or jumping you could make do with the rear for awhile at least.

Best money I ever spent on an XR (several), or any other dirt bike for that matter, was to have the suspension professionally revalved/resprung for my particular weight and riding conditions. Worth every penny.

You're looking at around $400-$500 for front and rear, revalved and resprung for your weight and riding type.

Suspension is probably the best "justifiable" expense you can spend on your bike.

What kind of total outlay is having the suspension professionally done? I'm 6'5" and 255, and I make any bike feel mushy...

Hi all...have been a member without a ride for years, but today fulfilled a longtime (since I was 8 and am now 41) dream . Bought a 2001 XR400 in great condition. Basically stock but legal on-road here in Michigan.

Anyway, I need some advice on basic set-up. I am a big guy, 6'3", 245lbs. What do you recommend as far as suspension settings. Should also note I am a beginner as have only rode an XR250 a handful of times.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks...

John

John,

There's some good advice going aftermarket suspension tuners. But, if your a beginner... it might not be "for you". Sure, it'll help... and make sure your sprung properly. It'll also make you a better rider since you won't be concentrating so much on the bumbs, and such. But, it's costly ($500+ for both ends). If money isn't a problem... I'd say send off the suspension, and you'll be amazed. Otherwise, there's some easy mods from XRsOnly that can help get you done right and pretty cheap (springs, shim stack..etc)

Suspension is a huge part of your riding experience. I'm sure you'll see a big difference in not only your ability, but how you look at the terrain once "re-done properly".

No way. If someone is paying that much for each end, something is wrong.

To clarify, it's like $500 for EACH end for springs and revalving and shipping.

All...thanks for the advice. At this point I'd like to make sure the settings on the bike are the best they can be stock. I have an owners manual that tell how to adjust the front suspension and rear shock, but they don't necessarily tell where to set it for a guy my size.

All...thanks for the advice. At this point I'd like to make sure the settings on the bike are the best they can be stock. I have an owners manual that tell how to adjust the front suspension and rear shock, but they don't necessarily tell where to set it for a guy my size.

That's because, you can't (really) tighten the springs enough to support your weight. They need to be replaced.

(even though I'm 220, and valved and tuned my suspension for a 240lb rider... still using the stock rear shock spring - Precision Concepts worked the magic)

JAT,

Thanks, I'll check out XR's only.

It's the best thing for your size as the cheapest solution.

how much can you get it done for? what shop? and with shipping? i have priced out suspension work and it has been quoted darn near 500 bucks per end from almost all shops. i would love to find a better deal on great suspension work although it may not happen this year due to all the money the motor has received just curious on who you use.

I'm sorry, but it's not that simple. You have both compression and rebound adjustments front and rear. You also have a preload adjustment on the shock. You can adjust preload on the fork springs but it's more involved.

The best you're going to be able to do with the stock shock is to increase the spring preload to get a race sag measurement of 4"-4.5". That's about an inch more than recommended when having the proper rate spring, but given your weight and trying to keep it from being "too" harsh, start with that. After setting preload, set the clickers in the middle of their range and adjust for best ride from there. I foresee end settings of the shock compression clickers towards the softest end of the range and the rebound towards the hardest(slowest) end of the range.

For the forks, you can add a spacer between the top of the spring and bottom of the fork cap to increase spring preload. Normal race sag is around 35-50mm. You'll need to see what you currently have before you decide how much more to preload the springs. Then there's what wt. oil to use. Probably no heavier than a 10wt. There's also oil height to be considered. I'd probably stay at recommended stock height. Then again, set compression and rebound clickers in the center of their range and adjust for best ride and performance from there. It's going to be a trial and error thing for you to get it to be the best it can. That's just the reality of it.

I have an owners manual that tell how to adjust the front suspension and rear shock, but they don't necessarily tell where to set it for a guy my size.

3 quotes to spring and valve my new CR USD forks were all between $500-600

Again, the rear is not that far off for you. As a beginner, you likely aren't pushing that hard ??? and it will be ok cranked down for max preload.

THe front is deadly soft and you can buy fork springs for $100. Do that and nothing else and it will change the bike for you.

Promise. 👍

I'm curious as to who those 3 quotes were from and what the quotes would be for "XR" forks.

Understandably, it's been a few years since I had mine done, but surely prices haven't gotten that high for the simple XR forks.

3 quotes to spring and valve my new CR USD forks were all between $500-600

I'm curious as to who those 3 quotes were from and what the quotes would be for "XR" forks.

Understandably, it's been a few years since I had mine done, but surely prices haven't gotten that high for the simple XR forks.

Don't remember (last summer) for sure, 3 of the well known suspension shops.

MX South I think, and the one shop in our area that does them.

Trust me, prices HAVE gotten that high.

IT's why I didn't do it yet.......