heavy flywheel for mx?

I dont know how heavy you would want to go. They say Tim Ferry ran the 8oz weight when he raced the yz 250. You woudl have to add a lot of weight to really change the nature of the bike.

I find an 8oz weight reduces stalling when I get crazy with the brakes. I would love to have a heavy model for certain occasions since they are so easy to change.

I have been looking into this as well and I think that a 8-11 oz weight is perfect for the yz250, even on the track, and can make it easier to put the power down but it does not reduce power or make the snap go away. I am going to try the steahly one soon.

It doesn't really tame the hit with the GYTR flywheel weight what it does do is help with stalling and it lets the rear wheel not spin up so easy.

So you can get on the pipe faster in slicker sections it will allow you to smooth out your style on the bike with the added traction abilitys.

I can see why ferry was running a weight cause it's the best mod I did to my YZ 250 I'm more able to use the lower part of the rev's without fear of stalling less worry about the rear wheel breaking out into a slide. More able to effectively use 3rd gear for nearly all corners makes the powerband feel broader.

Probably the best mod anyone can do over a stupid pipe/reed block at only $99 for the flywheel. If it came this way stock I doubt anyone would even complain.

I think 8-9oz is a perfect mx weight for this bike.

I used to think a few years ago that running a FWW for MX was crazy, but after reading RCannon and a few others say how much better the motor was with a FWW I gave it a try.

Have had the 9oz FWW on ever since.

Edited by OW38B

I have an 8oz FWW on my YZ and love it for MX. Just adds a bit of tractibility on the harder-pack tracks. I tried it without and went right back to it. Its the first FWW I've ever run before. I also have EG- 265 kit, PC pipe and shorty, and V-force.

• 2 weeks later...

I just ordered the GYTR 9oz...do you really have to check timing and all as the manual suggests or is it a simple bolt on? do you need a special tool to hold the flywheel during removal and install? can you use a strap wrench? I have ordered a puller but nothing beyond that?