Maintence after mud races?

The first two races this year so far (last weekend and today) was really muddy and i mean muddy. it was so muddy that the track was like grease and today it was the same way.

This is my first two races on this new 2010 bike and I never greased anything prior to getting ready for the first race.

Should i go ahead and grease the swing arm, a-arm, steering head and shock bearings(top and bottom)?

Or is it still good for a little while longer? I just dont wont the suspension and steering head bearings to start to pit and rust.

I would regrease them now. I would imagine if it was that muddy you had to wash the bike down with some pressure and may have penetrated the seals (easy to do). The bike comes from the factory greased with a really good lubricant but they use very little of it. I wish I knew the actual brand of lubricant so I could use it again and use it liberally, but the OEM stuff over the counter is different from what the factory uses. So, just get some good, thick grease that has some water repellent properties such as marine grease and you won't have to worry about the bearings for a long, long time.

I would regrease them now. I would imagine if it was that muddy you had to wash the bike down with some pressure and may have penetrated the seals (easy to do). The bike comes from the factory greased with a really good lubricant but they use very little of it. I wish I knew the actual brand of lubricant so I could use it again and use it liberally, but the OEM stuff over the counter is different from what the factory uses. So, just get some good, thick grease that has some water repellent properties such as marine grease and you won't have to worry about the bearings for a long, long time.

I would have thought that all grease's were waterproof. In your opinion....what brand of grease would you recommend using for all the suspension bearings and steering head?

New bikes typically come with little to no grease in any of the bearings and seals. This means that there is very little keeping mud and water out, and very little preventing rusting when water does get in. Grease them now and hope that you haven't already damaged the bearings.

I have the same problem here this time of year. What I did was buy extra set of linkage off eBay so I can quickly swap out the linkage after a mud run and then clean / re-grease the one that I took off. Easy to do on a CR250. One thing that I've found handy to do is keep at least one extra set of seals on hand at all times.

Now to your question.... Take it apart and clean it all up and re-grease the bearings. If you see anything you don't like the looks of, replace it.

New bikes typically come with little to no grease in any of the bearings and seals. This means that there is very little keeping mud and water out, and very little preventing rusting when water does get in. Grease them now and hope that you haven't already damaged the bearings.

To my surprise after taking the swingarm off the 2010 450 yz the bearings didnt look that bad. I went ahead and pressed them out and cleaned them in brake cleaner to remove what little factory grease was in there and repacked them.

Hope the A-arm linkage bearings are this good also,but i will repack them too.

I'm surprised the swing arm bearings didnt have some water in there since I've used the pressure washer about four times on the bike. But I always tried to stay back from the bearings so it wouldnt penitrate the seals.