crf 250x dead electric start

after having a 2005 crf 250x the electric start stopped working for me. at first it would work on and off but now it will not work at all. i hooked the battery straight to the starter and it is working and the fuse is good so could it be a short? or a problem with the starter relay switch?

I have the same problem with my 05. It workes sometimes if I hit the start button many times in a row to heat up the relay....it wil eventiaslly work. I think these relays get week after a while, I have one on order right now, I'm sure its the fix, nothing else is wrong . I have tested everything. Like yourself, mine starts if you jump the relay. It must be the relay.

• 6 months later...

I just ordered one yesterday too! 😏

I hear some occasional electrical popping from my relay but it's not switching the current to the starter at all. I get maybe a 0.44V to the starter during the crackling. I'm pretty sure the relay is stuck open and fare enough from being closed that an occasional spark is jumping across the gap.

Time will tell. Did you order new from Canada? I think you did because there was only one left when I tried to order last night. I hope it gets here quick!

Not in my case... I put a new battery in it and the bike starts right up!! 😏 I did think about that though.

Some electrical guru might correct me but I think the solenoid would pull the same number of amps to click it since the resistance of the solenoid is constant and the voltage source is a constant 12V (bike battery or truck battery). The only time the extra amperage of the truck battery would come in is if the solenoid was somewhat stuck, it could pull some more amps to help it click over.

It was strange how the battery went from able to start to not able to start at all or even hold any kind of a charge. It just didn't act like a battery issue but it was.

I found that out after the fact !! It just didn't add up at the time. Solenoid sounded like it was locked up, battery tender said the battery was good and charged, and the fact that it went from starting fine to not starting so quickly. Funny that after all of my troubleshooting, I hooked the battery back up and only then did the tender show that the battery was bad. Of course it was after all of that.

What kind of charger are you using? If you are using a trickle charger (Battery Tender), you probably won't be able to turn over the starter. Have you tried a new battery or at least a different battery directly hooked up to the starter to see if the starter will crank?

Alright...so we know the starter is okay....that's good because that would be the most expensive and difficult thing to fix.

Does the solenoid click at all when you pull the clutch in and hit the estart button? If not, you probably have a loose wire somewhere....and the circuit is not being completed to the solenoid to get it to kick over. You'll need to check the continuity of the wired terminal blades to see if current is coming in to the solenoid. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?