enduros

Agree w/hollywood. Family Enduro Series is a great way to get your feet wet. The pace is slower and the route is shorter, but other than that, it's a real enduro. A great way to get started and get a feel for it. If you blow all the checks and have plenty of 'go' left at the end, head on over to the Sunday enduros. ­čĹŹ

k thanks but can anyone explain the timekeeping?

In Michigan, most sunday enduros are 24 miles per hour. Which means you want to complete 1 mile in 2 minutes 30 seconds. Generally, the trail is hard enough no one makes that speed.

The Family enduros are one loop at 12 mph. Which you want to complete one mile every 5 minutes. The second loop is generally 18mph. You want to complete 1 mile in 3 minutes 20 seconds. At the Family enduros it is easy to go to fast for the 12mph sections and you will want to stop an let time pass if you are ahead.

You are given a route sheet with mileage and time. It is best to have an odometer and a watch with seconds.

At checks, you are scored by how early or late you are at a check.

At your first few events, I would not worry about timekeeping. I would find someone(preferably a friend) who has rode before and ride with them. Let them teach you timekeeping as you ride. There are many friendly people at these event who will take on a newbie and help them out on the trail, especially at the family events. You just need to ask and ride on their minute.

Thanks Lou Ann

That was the best explaination of Enduro timekeeping I've ever seen on here. I've been an off-road rider since the 60's and have never really been clear how these things are run. I've been tempted to try one myself someday.

We rode the Jack and the Loose Moose last year. I have a 4yr and 9yr old, the enduro's are a blast for us. We all ride together on Saturday's for the family enduro then I ride Sunday for the big kids race. No one's left out - even the wife enjoys the events. I too was out of riding for 14 ish years until 2 seasons ago.

We plan on running the entire enduro circuit this year.

That is if I get my dumb 7.3 diesel running good...that another story - nightmare actually.

I've yet to pay attention to time, some enduro's use the national scoring which doesn't even keep time. Like stated ride with someone that done a bunch and learn from them.

Unfortunately a friend I just met last year with all the wisdom passed away. Larry Campbell was a great person and will be missed by my family and many others!