Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts 08 vs 05 my 05 is faster!!

My friend had me ride his wife's 08 cause she just got the suspension done and he wanted me to feel it. That bike felt like a dog! It has a loudmouth intake, stock motor, head has just been cut with fresh valves, low hours on the bike in general.

My 05 has an 08 head, valves, quick shot, 08 piston and an 08 cam. My valves tightened up, I'm on my second shim job, waitin to get a new head.

My 05 is smokin that 08!!! All through the power range my bike is stronger.

Anybody here know why that might be?

I'm sure his filter is clean, the bike is jetted just fine.

Just curious why that 08 is slower than my 05.?

could be issues in the motor, jetting, even the small mods (single exhaust, quickshot, ect) with your bike may bring it out a bit, sure his bike wasnt smoother? in that case they sometimes feel slower.. my 05 has a modded 09 head and modded 08 cam with other mods and hauls ass.. but then again it can all be in your head lol

Interesting....my buddy noticed the difference too. So I can use a 09 head? Are the valves the same. Is the 09 head better? Thanks for your replys guys.

04-05 has a 36mm carb and 06-09 has a 40mm. I think this may be the answer to your question. I've ridden an 04 and owned an 06 and could feel a difference. The 04 felt like it had better response and more low with similar or better mid. I think my 06 had very very slight more top, but the 04 felt pretty good with the smaller carb. I heard some tuners were switching out the 40mm on the newer bikes for a 38mm carb.

Interesting....my buddy noticed the difference too. So I can use a 09 head? Are the valves the same. Is the 09 head better? Thanks for your replys guys.

yep you can use an 04-09 head on your 05.. the 09 head imo is the best head for porting, the best year head you can put on your bike without porting is the 07 head.. if you run a 08/09 head you have to run the 08/09 exhaust valves/springs/ect.. everything else is the same, if you run an 08/09 cam you have to run those year intake springs.. the 05 cam is all bottom end which will pull harder off the start then the other years but peaks out real fast, paired with the smaller carb you get even more bottom/acceleration.. the 08/09 cam pulls much higher into the rpm range and yet very smooth, but I miss the hard bottom end hit of my 05 cam at the same time, but im still very happy with the modded 08 cam Jesse Williams built for me..

One of my kids friend that has an 06 rode my kids 08 and said the bike was slower. Stock suspension on the kids 06 and serious suspension work on my kids 08. His lap time was almost 8 seconds faster on my kids 08. Just because the bike doesn't feel faster doesn't mean that it isn't faster. Because the suspension doesn't beat the hell out of you doesn't mean it's slower. Drive a Caddilac at 70mph then drive a Yugo at 70mph. Which one feels like you're going faster? Thats the difference!

After all that explanation, the 05 could still be faster though! But, are you comparing apples to apples?

even something such as the loudness of the exhaust can lead you to believe a bike is faster or slower when in reality it isn't. only way to tell is drag them or dyno the motors.

Thanks guys. I'm not dwelling on it or anything, just expected to be more alike. It could be the suspension. I swear when I cracked the throttle it was pretty obvious. Thanks again. Keep it on 2 wheels boys

i have a 05 and a 06 and the 05 seems faster on the start. actualy i know it its i had someone drag race me. the 06 catches up though later. For some reason it alo seems like i can stay in the first three gears longer on the 05 than the 06. the 06 just goes straight through the gears.do they have different gearing? oh yeah and i switched the carbs so the 05 has the 40 mm ans the 06 has the 37

Edited by specialkcrf

Girls too! I ride a 2005 250R and it feels slower than my previous 2008 150R....go figure.