A different kick starter problem, ratchet noise

Sorry if this is in here some where else, I looked but couldn't find it:

2006 CRF450R

My kicker makes a ratcheting slip noise like when you are holding it down a little with the engine running, but then when you shut the motor off, the kicker lever jumps forward quite a bit looking like it is off a few splines. I tried moving it to different spline positions, but got worse with the ratcheting noise. I stopped riding it and have to pull it apart to see if a spring or something is gone. What else should I be looking for?

There is an index mark on the shaft and the ratchet. They have to be lined up.

What your feeling is the engine coming to a stop and kicking back. You shouldn't hold the kicker down like that in the first place any longer than it takes for you to get off the lever entirely.

If the engine decided to cough back hard IE. backfire when you had the kicker down like that it can hook up the ratchet and spit the kicker back hard enough to break the case when it tops out. And you wouldn't be the first. And it would be your fault too.

If you think there is a problem, verify the kick out spring isnt broken and that the retractor plate is still bolted in and the ratchet is moving freely on the spline.

The kicker stop had broken in 2 pieces where the hole in it is to fit onto the case. The case mold where this fits onto broke off as well. To repair this fully would be to replace the inner case. I am going to try to tap and thread a short stud in place of this piece that broke off.