MSR Fork Seal Question

Ok I just bought the MSR Fork Kit with seals and washers. The question I have is, which way do the fork seals go in? They have a spring on both sides, so I am unsure. There is a diagram on the box, but I still can't figure it out. If anyone can help me I would sure appreciate it. Thanks

hmmmm yours don't have any words on them?

I've only used oem seals but they always had some words written on one side on every bike I've done 👍

We figured it out, as Williams mentioned these MSR seals are quite different from stock ones, as they have springs on both sides.

It works by having 3 sealing lips instead of one, and they balance each other out when enineered, and of course, installed correctly.

AllBalls have a similar seal.

We figured it out, as Williams mentioned these MSR seals are quite different from stock ones, as they have springs on both sides.

It works by having 3 sealing lips instead of one, and they balance each other out when enineered, and of course, installed correctly.

AllBalls have a similar seal.

Most seals I've installed have springs on both sides also 👍

When I used seals from MSR, they failed after less then a month. Hopefully they work better for you! If they do fail I'd go back to OEM🤣

Most seals I've installed have springs on both sides also 👍

When I used seals from MSR, they failed after less then a month. Hopefully they work better for you! If they do fail I'd go back to OEM🤣

I'll give feedback when I try them out. I am kinda on a budget and heard these were good.

What is wrong with the dustseals? Do they just leak earlier than normal?

I think they´re pretty good, then again, I of course haven´t tried all the seals and wipers in the world...

Regardless of brand, always wash the fork legs after riding. Otherwise the dirt can dry out and the crust can tear the seal the next time you ride it.

If riding in mud, always pull down and clean behind the dust wipers. Use brake cleaner to get all grit out.

If riding in mud, always pull down and clean behind the dust wipers. Use brake cleaner to get all grit out.

I did that once to clean on the back side of the dust seal with brake cleaner and when I took that fork down like a month later I had rust and contaminates through out the whole fork including rusting the snap ring. I'm not trying to say absolutely don't do this, you may have better luck than me, but if you did it recently for the first time you may want to check yours, it's just my one time and experience. IMO brake cleaner is bad on seals.

I did that once to clean on the back side of the dust seal with brake cleaner and when I took that fork down like a month later I had rust and contaminates through out the whole fork including rusting the snap ring. I'm not trying to say absolutely don't do this, you may have better luck than me, but if you did it recently for the first time you may want to check yours, it's just my one time and experience. IMO brake cleaner is bad on seals.

I´ve done it for years without problems. I usually get a full season out of a pair of fork seals, which is around 50 hours of MX. Unfortunately here in Sweden half of that time it´s raining...

Just use compressed air to dry everything out before putting the wiper back.

Some people spray some silicone spray on the face of the seal before reinstalling the wiper, but in my experience it does not really add anything.

If you had "rust and contaminates through out the whole fork", it must have been from something more than a little brake cleaner on the seal...