Let there be Light! - 8" Trailtech Headlight/KTM 530 Install

Last year when we did our big desert trip we ended up riding a little at night a couple times, it was then that I found out what a piece of junk the stock headlight is on my 530exc, it was absolutely pathetic....almost worthless! Fast forward a year and we are getting ready for another desert adventure this summer...and the stock headlight has to go!

I looked at the Trailtech X2 HID Light but I personally don't care for the over under looks of that unit, I had the Trailtech 8" Race Light on my XRR and loved it so I decided to go that route again on the 530.

Craig2211 and I ordered the Race Lights from Dual Sport Armory and they showed up a couple days ago ...Thanks Doug and Lee! Now to get it installed.......

IMG_0329.jpg

One last shot of the bike with the stock headlight on it. This was taken last Friday, my friend Travis just picked up a 530 of his own and we were out putting some miles on it.

IMG_0337.jpg

Under the stock headlight lives a BUNCH of wiring. In this picture I've already removed the factory connectors from their metal holder and started to straiten out the wiring as much as possible. The Race Light interfered with the wiring in it's stock location so re-arranging the wiring is a must. KTM uses HUGE connectors everywhere, I started cutting and trimming wherever possible to reduce the bulk of the wiring. I replaced several of the factory connectors with RC aircraft bullet connectors, they can carry high amp loads, are super reliable and take up a lot less space.

IMG_0346.jpg

Well not perfect but it will get the job done, and it's a lot cleaner than it was. Once the light is in place it looks great. I used a piece of old tube to enclose the bulk of the wiring at the bottom, I punched a row of 1/2" holes all along the bottom of the tube in case water gets in. I also packed the remaining connectors full of Dielectric grease as a further waterproofing measure.

IMG_0363.jpg

Light is on the bike No more riding in the dark for me! The back of the light comes in a chrome finish from Trailtech, I removed the lens and painted the back a high temp flat black to make it blend in better.

IMG_0382.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

Top Shot

IMG_0367.jpg

Front Shot

IMG_0377.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Hodakaguy

• Like 1

Nice job. I thought my ktm had a bunch of wires but man, the EXC's take the cake!

Isn't there supposed to be a rubber flange/gasket on the very back end of the light? Looks like the end of the bulb fitting is kinda of exposed?

BTW...where was the 1st pick taken with the OEM lights and the freeway in the far background? Just curious.

Nice job. I thought my ktm had a bunch of wires but man, the EXC's take the cake!

Isn't there supposed to be a rubber flange/gasket on the very back end of the light? Looks like the end of the bulb fitting is kinda of exposed?

BTW...where was the 1st pick taken with the OEM lights and the freeway in the far background? Just curious.

There isn't any type of rubber boot on the back of the trailtech units, the bulb is sealed onto the unit with black RTV to keep water/dust out. I'm going to find a rubber cover that will work on it though ๐Ÿ‘

That last pic was taken above Benton City WA, there is a fun 60 mile loop from kennewick to benton city and back that we like to ride.

Hodakaguy

Nicely set up. How will the water dry out in your wiring bundle?

It's not completely sealed...there are about 7 or 8 - 1/2" holes on the bottom of the piece of tube for air to get in and water to get out. If it ever gets really wet I can also open up each end of the tube to help it dry out.

Hodakaguy

Nice setup Hodakaguy! ๐Ÿ‘

Bike looks great!

Do you have any cooling problems running those beefy Mohard radiator guards? They look awesome, and I'm thinking about getting them for my bike.

Nope, no cooling issues at all. They have been great even in 100deg weather. I would highly recommend them๐Ÿคฃ

Hodakaguy

Great, thanks!

Will go for the Mohard guards then.

How do you like that Works Connection (?) skidplate/engine guard?

One side note, if you plan on running the large desert tank then you will have to modify the top rear of the guards so they won't hit the tank. I rounded them with a grinder and now they work great. I contacted Mohard about it, they might have tweeked them by now?

The skid plate is awesome! Still my favorite plate, very well built, fits like a glove, sight glass is easily viewable ect. Just a little on the $$$$ side.

Hodakaguy

One side note, if you plan on running the large desert tank then you will have to modify the top rear of the guards so they won't hit the tank. I rounded them with a grinder and now they work great. I contacted Mohard about it, they might have tweeked them by now?

The skid plate is awesome! Still my favorite plate, very well built, fits like a glove, sight glass is easily viewable ect. Just a little on the $$$$ side.

Hodakaguy

Cool, thanks!

Looks like you have to remove it to replace the oil filter, but I guess its worth the extra work involved to have the best protection...

๐Ÿ‘

Cool, thanks!

Looks like you have to remove it to replace the oil filter, but I guess its worth the extra work involved to have the best protection...

๐Ÿ‘

You can drain the oil without removing the plate but you can't get to the filter with the plate installed. It only takes a few seconds to remove it though.

Oh, the plate comes with a chunk of skid plate foam also.

Hodakaguy

Do you have a picture of your "cockpit" setup?

I see you have the Scotts stabilizer, but how is it mounted? Sub?

Did you have to raise the handlebars much, or is just done because of personal preference? ๐Ÿ‘

--Ove

I'll post up a pic later this afternoon when I get back to my laptop.

I'm using the BRP submount for the Scotts unit, I'm tall and have long arms so I like my bars way up there. The submount adds an inch of rise, then I have Enduro Engineering risers on top of that. There are other options like the above mount setup ect that would give you less rise if that's what your needing.

Hodakaguy

I was gonna install one too. but there not DOT approved. cops here are real pricks!! looks nice

I had this same light on my XXR and never had a problem with it on the road, I do run it aimed way down while on the road so I don't attract undesired attention.

Hodakaguy

it really is too bad that trail tech or baja designs etc... dont make a dot legal headlight like that.

im thinking a dual 6-8 inch set up that one comes on at low beam and the second one on high beam.

soem of the street bikes are doing this set up now. 2 headlight set up one low both on for high.

seems easy enough to me

Exactly!!! Dual-beam please!?!?! ๐Ÿ‘

Wouldnt a switchable resister inline of the light limit the out put enought for a "low beam", like a dimmer in a house light?

idk mabie baja should look into it, and it would be a min cost for them?๐Ÿ‘