Sign in to follow this  

YAMALINK: I have a question for you

I recently purchased a Yamalink for my 2006 YZ 125. I love everything about this link but have one problem that I can't seem to correct:

The back tire is hitting the rear fender upon landings from big jumps. I have ridden 3 times at my local track and this problem has occurred all 3 times on multiple jumps.

I am positive I have the right rear spring for my 160 lb naked self. I am positive I set the race sag at 4" initially and then down to about 3.8". I am positive I have set the high and low speed compression as directed. I have my forks about 10mm up in the clamps.

I don't want to give up this link as it has made my bike handle just so well but the marks on the underside of the rear fender are alarmingly big.

Can I set the sag to 3.5"? Is there anything else I can do to remedy this situation without changing the way the bike is performing on the other parts of the track as it is? If not, am I in jeopardy on these big jumps and not using this link for the right application?

Thank you.

Doug,

Good thing someone emailed us about this thread otherwise we may have missed it.

Your spring rate sounds about right. And many do set their sag at 3.5 inches but your lowering amount will be decreased. I believe the instructions you received said to set sag at 100mm for leisurely riding and if you are lightweight, and to set it at 3.5 inches for more aggressive riding.

As for the rubber marks that is not out of the ordinary. Go down the start line of any pro mx race (I know you're not a pro mx racer but since your post was angled at that) and you will see deeeep and long black marks on the underside of their rear fender. I'd say 90% of them are running non-stock linkage. It's not the huge or flat landing they want to survive because all of them know how to jump properly and land on the backside almost all the time (flat landing is tiring and somewhat dangerous in the end). Those riders are looking for more plushness on the braking and acceleration bumps that just completely hammer them at moto's end and they will trade the offset of easier bottoming because, remember, they're going faster but a lot smoother.

You are using a 1.75 inch lowering "link" (it's really a rocker) whereas the aforementioned racers are using a 1 inch or less. The extra leverage is allowing the rear wheel to travel further into its arc and force its way past the neoprene/rubber bumper the manufacturers put on the bottom of every shock shaft just so they don't have buyers/riders worrying about their rubber marks on the rear fender. Once you hit that bumper all compression adjustments are thrown out the window.

Setting the sag at 3.5 inches will help considerably but some will say the static sag numbers are thrown off. Indeed, but anytime you add an aftermarket linkage the set up is not the same. Set your sag at 3.5 inches. You may have to change the fork height a few millimeters because the bike will steer quicker.

For dedicated mx riding I'd say 99% of our customers - many local pro and National-caliber privateers and a few WMA pro racers - use a 1-inch YamaLink but that's only available on the 2009 and 2010 YZF line; the models other than those such as yours have a clearance issue between the shock spring and swingarm tunnel hence the rocker instead of a connecting rod (or dog bone as many refer to) the 09 and 2010 have. Could a rocker with 1.25 or 1.5 inches be made for your YZ? We do have one 1.5 prototype here.

Please email me if you have more questions (since we don't frequent some subforums often and out of respect for the forum sponsor we don't want to play in their sandbox) and if you want to talk about a full refund. At the end of the day I want you to be 100% satisfied.

Edited by YamaLink

I have always had black marks on my rear fenders, even with stock suspension parts. If you arent touching the tire to the fender you arent using all the suspension travel in the back.

Yamalink: I had no doubt about your reputation for customer service and wasn't worried about a refund should I bail on the link. I am far from being a pro mx'er but my experience as a pro BMX'er has helped me in the jumping department and I, too, like to land rear wheel first in situations where the landing zone is flat. Your explanation and guidance to my concerns comes as a relief since this link has made my riding come together. I can deal with the seat being a little higher since I really only wanted an inch anyway. So I will go ahead and set my sag at 3.5". The head angle will change as you said but I don't think I will adjust my fork tubes until I ride it again and see how it feels: I have always tended to like a steeper head tube angle in BMX and would actually prefer the YZ to steer quicker than it does now (if that's even possible:worthy:). I don't actually mind the black marks, I was just concerned about my safety...it hasn't alarmed me or upset the bike in any way when it has happened but it didn't do it before the link. I can't say enough good things about this link-I love it!

Thank you so much for your response and I will post back here and let you know how it worked out.

when you have the shock serviced look to have a heavy duty bumper fitted, that will help.