Best Xc-w?

Hi,

I am getting rid of my klx 450 because i am sick of the thing overheating , i have always wanted a KTM and i heard the 300 is one of the best woods bike you can get but the more i look into it the more i see that the 300 has overheating issues of its own. Does anyone know if they fixed this problem with the 2010 model or if not what about the 2010 250 xc-w does it have the same problem with overheating? i know there are easy mods to help keep the temps down but if im gonna get a brand new bike I want it to work correctly out of the box

thanks

james

Overheating is probably a jetting issue or rad cap. Get a different cap and/or fatten up a jet or needle. What does your plug look like. I guess I always like messing with stuff so if I were to buy a brand new bike I would rejet and do little stuff to make it run better or function better. I did own a WR and it needed some work to run right. Buy the KTM and if you have any issue there are plenty of guys here to walk you threw it.

Hi,

I am getting rid of my klx 450 because i am sick of the thing overheating , i have always wanted a KTM and i heard the 300 is one of the best woods bike you can get but the more i look into it the more i see that the 300 has overheating issues of its own. Does anyone know if they fixed this problem with the 2010 model or if not what about the 2010 250 xc-w does it have the same problem with overheating? i know there are easy mods to help keep the temps down but if im gonna get a brand new bike I want it to work correctly out of the box

thanks

james

Overheating isn't a problem if you ride the bike as the designers intended!

i.e. Endurocross, trail riding, and mx stuff you'd be fine!

The 300 fits so perfectly to what it was designed for.

BUT? If you want to lugg some tight gnarly trails and slow technical stuff then you will need to do a bit of modifications. (Very minor)

Radiator fan and trim the shroud and you'd be good to go in any situation!

So to say the 300 has a problem with overheating? Isn't correct!

By design the bike functions perfectly right out of the box! Exactly the way the KTM guys intended! (NO Bike can do every type of riding without some modification)

But if you want to do trails that this bike wasn't specifically designed for? (But can do very well!) Like slow, tight stuff? A few specialized mods can take care of any issue.๐Ÿ‘

Edited by KTM300XC-W09

In adverse conditions the 300 overheats beore the 250 will.

I believe this is true and I've heard it many times from guys who are into tight technical gnarly terrain. We ride in very high temps out here in AZ and having a bike that is hard to boil over is pretty critical. Many people also prefer the motor traits of the 200 or 250 for gnarly stuff around here. In my case I picked the 300 because it'll have to do lots of open desert and fast double track duty plus I'm a big fat guy. I've not had any over heating issues with the 300 yet but I'm still going to put an overflow recovery tank on it and maybe fans. ๐Ÿ‘

I have an '08 300 XC-W that I bought new. I have well over 120 hours on her now and have boiled her only a few times.

Extremes existed in each boilover case...stuck in mud with the rads covered in mud...long, slow, technical hill climb in hot weather...jetted too lean in hot weather.

Each instance was only a momentary one...I never lost alot of fluid...just a very small amount...and I've made appropriate adjustments to lessen the chance of another boilover.

Do this:

Change out the rad cap to 1.8

Use a premium coolant like Engine Ice

Add a wetting agent to "standard" coolant

Jet correctly for your specific ride conditions and ride style -I won't say "jet it richer" because that's not correct.

Avoid flogging the clutch

Obviously...avoid situations that may lead to overheating when possible. Like a buddy once said..."Ride faster!"

-Jay

Hi,

thanks

james

James,

Where are you in NH? I'm always looking for people to ride with in NH. My 07 250 never over heats.

๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ‘

Well all of those bikes will boil way before my sons 50cc...๐Ÿคฃ

haha, I'm just joshin'. lol

I have an '08 300 XC-W that I bought new. I have well over 120 hours on her now and have boiled her only a few times.

Extremes existed in each boilover case...stuck in mud with the rads covered in mud...long, slow, technical hill climb in hot weather...jetted too lean in hot weather.

Each instance was only a momentary one...I never lost alot of fluid...just a very small amount...and I've made appropriate adjustments to lessen the chance of another boilover.

Do this:

Change out the rad cap to 1.8

Use a premium coolant like Engine Ice

Add a wetting agent to "standard" coolant

Jet correctly for your specific ride conditions and ride style -I won't say "jet it richer" because that's not correct.

Avoid flogging the clutch

Obviously...avoid situations that may lead to overheating when possible. Like a buddy once said..."Ride faster!"

-Jay

did the 38 pilot help with that Jay, or just give ya more grunt?

otherwise, I agree.