new thumper owner

Cubera, well I plan to do that for sure, so what your saying is the jetting may be off.

this is a new bike from the dealer. I have seen some post on the air box mod and then do a jd jet kit.

have rode 2 strokes most of my life, last bike was a kx500, looking foward to getting out this up comming weekend and play in the desert.

I would be willing to bet the jetting is way lean on it. You can't go wrong with JD's jetting IMHO. I would only do the top of the airbox BTW.

Right on the money Cubera. Buy the JD kit, do the airbox mods and then when youve got some money set back buy an exhaust. Getting the jetting straight and giving more air with the airbox mods it will make it night and day difference. Not only great power gains but it also makes it so much easier to ride at low RPM in the really tight stuff. Your bike will love it almost as much as you!

Don't forget to un-nueter the bike by taking out that worthless exaust baffle.

When I got my bike it felt like I was riding a XR250 until I took that worthless restrictive part out of the exaust. Some will tell you not to because of the noise but this is the best free mod you can do. As for noise my bike without the baffle is still quieter than my friends same year 450r. So my advise is give it a shot with and without it and see for yourself.

I agree only do the top of the airbox.

Don't forget to un-nueter the bike by taking out that worthless exaust baffle.

When I got my bike it felt like I was riding a XR250 until I took that worthless restrictive part out of the exaust. Some will tell you not to because of the noise but this is the best free mod you can do. As for noise my bike without the baffle is still quieter than my friends same year 450r. So my advise is give it a shot with and without it and see for yourself.

I agree only do the top of the airbox.

I have an 08 as well and I could be wrong ( its been a while since I put my Dr. D on or messed with my stock pipe) but it seems like the baffles on the 08 were welded in maybe? I cant remember why I kept my stock pipe the way it was until I bought aftermarket. Maybe I would of had to cut it out? I just cant remember.... What year X is yours? If its an 08 could you help me out on this. My head may just not be working right today..

My bike is an 06'

Does your exaust have a torques bolt on the bottom side of the outlet?

My baffle was a pain in the a** to remove. I had to fab a tool to pull it out due to the very tight fit. I took a 5/8in rod and cut a V notch into the end so it could be slid into the baffle and be hooked onto it. This is the only way I could get it out and it took some elbow grease. If you can't picture what I used for a tool let me know and I can take some pics for you. On a rare ocasion like when at hunting camp I will insert the baffle. I fixed the issue with it getting stuck by taking it to the bench grinder and shaved a small ammount off of the exterior surface. The baffle is easily removed now but sure does rob the power by one third.

I can picture the tool you made. I really cant remember if there was as a bolt or not. Maybe Ill pull it out and look at it today. I'm very happy with my Dr. D. Just was more curious about this for him instead of myself. Like I said I just cant think of why I was thinking that they changed it and either 07 or 08 they started welding them in..... I'll grab mine, look into it and get back to you guys.

I can picture the tool you made. I really cant remember if there was as a bolt or not. Maybe Ill pull it out and look at it today. I'm very happy with my Dr. D. Just was more curious about this for him instead of myself. Like I said I just cant think of why I was thinking that they changed it and either 07 or 08 they started welding them in..... I'll grab mine, look into it and get back to you guys.

Your right. The '08 has the baffle spot welded.

I would do the Jetting (JD Kit), Protection (Rads, skid and Hand guards to start) and Suspension. In that order too.

You can add desert tank, stabilizer, exhaust and what not later.

Like others have said though... Jetting is the first and most important.

I didnt mod the airbox (aside from removing the snokel and I am happy with the results) but I will once I start to feel the need for more bike. For me, It has plenty for now.

The best thing that I did to my 450X was open the airbox and jet that sucker:smirk: The Only place it gets air on the stock airbox is through the small opening in the snorkel on top! Once you have it to where it can breathe and jetted right you will be amazed at how much power you gain. O and exhaust doesn't hurt either

I just want to thank you all for the ideas, have allready done the pink wire mod, sent away for the jet kit to open the air box up, looking for the right exhaust. first trip out this wekend to ocotillo

Welcome to 450X land!!!­čĹŹ

... but, why the pink wire? It's not a MOD recommended by too many. In fact, try a 'search' on the topic... you'll see not many of the faster guys have even touched the pink wire. And try riding that bike with the airbox snorkel removed, and without cutting the airbox... I think you'll be surprised. In the meantime, while you wait for your "jet kit"... go buy the MERGE AP Spring.

Ok, I have researched the pink wire mod / moving the wire to a blank location, this does improve throttle response, if you tend to use the throttle agressivley rather than roll on and off, you will notice the differance. the bike will feel more snappier, this is what the factory techs are told to do if one wants to race the x model, along with cam swap, remove pipe baffel, air box mod, and jetting for closed track racing. So at worst all I have to do is put it back, no harm.

Not to argue but personally I never noticed anything with the pink wire mod performance wise. It raises the rev limiter by 500 RPM and that's the last thing the 450X needs IMHO. I hate hitting the limiter and whenever I do it's usually because I screwed-up. Best way to kill the 450X motor is to over-rev it and those few hundreds revs less with the pink wire intact just might save a motor grenade problem.