downhill turns

I am pretty confident while turning uphill on switchbacks but I seem to have a lot of trouble coming downhill with tight corners. It seems like my front tire swings too wide and i head over the embankment, no fun. Any tips??

For me, I'm usually standing on the pegs and then it's a matter of committing my inside shoulder into the turn while weighting the outside peg. If I try to stay over the center of the bike, I can't turn in as sharp...

Remember too the basic truth of 2-wheels - you look where you go. If you're having trouble, and developing a thinking that downhills lead you outside, you'll tend to look towards the outside to avoid the embankment - and head for it. It's a mental trick, focus in that inside shoulder, look at it the whole time and you'll have an easier time I'd bet.

BTDT.

practice on a flatter downhill turn by going a little faster than you normally would and then lean in (to rt on rt hand turn for instance), look where you want to be and LOCK up the rear tire....swinging it out to the left, thereby using the rear to help steer through the turn. later on practice this at places like taneum where there are many milder downhill switchbacks before moving up to tougher ones.

Joe

lock up the rear tire jsut before commiting to the corner and use some body english on the bike to encourage it to do what you want...never fails me.....yet

^+1^ I stand up and do the same thing, just use some hip movement when you lock up the rear to swing the back end around. It is like doing the old dance called the *twist*.?

cool thanks guys, it will just be a matter of getting used to the back end coming around i think.

You can practice this on level ground as well, gravel or slate will let the bike slide easily for you to get a feel for it

lock up the rear tire jsut before commiting to the corner and use some body english on the bike to encourage it to do what you want...never fails me.....yet

this guys got it, its sort of difting motion. turn a bit early into the corner and allow the bike to slide into the burm.

There is a great tip someone taught me when I was having trouble with tight downhill switchbacks.

1st- if you can not make the turn, then get off the bike and get on the out side of the bike a little downhill.

2nd- grab a handful of front brake then push down on the front to preload the forks . This will allow the rear wheel to come off the ground.

3rd- with the rear wheel off the ground, swing the bike rear toward your hip and around the corner.

Then remount your steed and head down the trail. This is used for extremely tight switchbacks when you don't want to chance going over the edge or don't have the skill to make the turn otherwise. I still use this technique when necessary.

There is a great tip someone taught me when I was having trouble with tight downhill switchbacks.

1st- if you can not make the turn, then get off the bike and get on the out side of the bike a little downhill.

2nd- grab a handful of front brake then push down on the front to preload the forks . This will allow the rear wheel to come off the ground.

3rd- with the rear wheel off the ground, swing the bike rear toward your hip and around the corner.

Then remount your steed and head down the trail. This is used for extremely tight switchbacks when you don't want to chance going over the edge or don't have the skill to make the turn otherwise. I still use this technique when necessary.

I use this technique but from the uphill side of the bike.

Usually only on right turns when you can't lock the rear and put your foot down.

I find down hill switch-backs the hardest to master. It's all about commitment

and self preservation. And it doesn't hurt to grow some big gonads.

I hear that. Im ridng on saturday and will try to nut up and commit to the turns. Thanks for all the suggestions.?