Love my Beta!

I finally got the JD jet kit installed and took my new Beta RS450 for its first real ride today. I put on 114 miles of mostly serious single and dual track riding. Man, I really love this bike! It was more than what I expected. The engine is powerful and has a wonderful linear power band from very low to the top end. The bike will just lug along, or rev quickly. It is a great motor. The bike is very nicely suspended and balanced with a wonderful low center of gravity, especially compared to the DRZ. At 5'10" I can put both feet down flat and secure on the ground! After a few hours the suspension really started to work in. It all felt great, and I only made a few adjustments on the shock, and none on the forks. I was worried about the fuel economy, but got nearly 43 mpg on a very dirt oriented ride, with lots of miles of sand wash. I was pretty happy about that too.

The only nit I can find is the right hand mirror doesn't fold down very low and on the big hits I sometimes hit my chest on it. I took it off, and may just get one of the Ken Sean ones on that side. Other than that I am very please with the bike. The wide ratio 6 speed transmission is awesome. Tomorrow I will clean it up and change the oil and the TWO filters, and get it ready for our next time together.

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

Edited by alphaBETAdog

I finally got the JD jet kit installed and took my new Beta RS450 for its first real ride today. I put on 114 miles of mostly serious single and dual track riding. Man, I really love this bike! It was more than what I expected. The engine is powerful and has a wonderful linear power band from very low to the top end. The bike will just lug along, or rev quickly. It is a great motor. The bike is very nicely suspended and balanced with a wonderful low center of gravity, especially compared to the DRZ. At 5'10" I can put both feet down flat and secure on the ground! After a few hours the suspension really started to work in. It all felt great, and I only made a few adjustments on the shock, and none on the forks. I was worried about the fuel economy, but got nearly 43 mpg on a very dirt oriented ride, with lots of miles of sand wash. I was pretty happy about that too.

The only nit I can find is the right hand mirror doesn't fold down very low and on the big hits I sometimes hit my chest on it. I took it off, and may just get one of the Ken Sean ones on that side. Other than that I am very please with the bike. The wide ration 2 speed transmission is awesome. Tomorrow I will clean it up and change the oil and the TWO filters, and get it ready for our next time together.

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

WOW! I'm jealous ?

What kind of deal did you get on your 08'?

I'm really itching to get one but, can't seem to find one that fits the budget. :banghead:I did find an RR that fit the budget but, didn't want to risk loosing the plate in CA. I'll keep looking.

Bike looks aweome!?

I'm really liking my 08 450 rr alot! I've finally got the jetting very close OCEMR needle with a 165 main , 14/48 gearing. Suspension is pretty good out of the box once broken in. I changed the rear spring to a 6kg/mm, still on the stock .48 fronts and will do a revalve using the Riders Edge Suspension basevalves , got them on the bench just to tired, lazy or both from riding three days a week.

The only nit I can find is the right hand mirror doesn't fold down very low and on the big hits I sometimes hit my chest on it. I took it off, and may just get one of the Ken Sean ones on that side. Other than that I am very please with the bike. The wide ratio 6 speed transmission is awesome. Tomorrow I will clean it up and change the oil and the TWO filters, and get it ready for our next time together.

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

?:thumbsup:???:ride::applause:

Great!!! enjoy that Beta!!!!!:jawdrop:

The taillight and turn signals are the Tusk brand from www.rockymountainatv.com Not a bolt on arrangement, had to be adapted to fit.

Can you take a close-up picture of the tail light and how its modded and mounted...did you have to drill holes in the top of your fender to mount it? I like the look and your bike looks sick. Makes me want to put white plastics on my 08 525.

Can you take a close-up picture of the tail light and how its modded and mounted...did you have to drill holes in the top of your fender to mount it? I like the look and your bike looks sick. Makes me want to put white plastics on my 08 525.

DSC01779.jpg

I'll try to snap a few more pics underneath tommorrow for you. I will be under there putting the rack back on. I only trimmed and drilled into the Tusk sub-fender, not any of the stock parts including the inner fender. No drilling thru the fender at all. I can quickly mount right back up my stock taillight assembly and red plastics if I wanted to. Had to trim the headlight shroud a little to accomodate the front narrower lights. The RS has an electronic flasher, so the blink rate was fine. The rear low-profile turn lights stay out of the exhaust stream.

Sick means good, right? ?

Sick definitely means good....I am trying to find a tail light setup that I like and will give me some visibility. I had an Edge tail light on my DRZ and really liked the fit but it didn't give off much light and I commute to work early in the dark. I modded my stock tail section on my Beta but I'm not sold on the look even though I like the light it gives off. Maybe with some mini turn signals it would look better....I'm open to suggestions since this looks ridiculous the more I look at it.

SMBetapics006.jpg

SMBetapics003.jpg

Dirtwiz,

Here are the photos from underneath as promised.

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01790.jpg

DSC01787.jpg

The Tusk LED taillight is very bright and I am very satified with it. I could be a little wider. The price is pretty good too. The surface mount turn signals aren't quite as bright as the short stalk ones I have on the front, but certainly bright enough.

Hey guys,

I also did not care for the RS stock rear fender. I thought it was not very well supported, especially when it got muddy, it kind of flapped around. I put a Beta RR fender and taillight on my 2008 RS525. It bolted on and cost about $50 from the local Beta dealer, RPS. I pitched the turn signals. I will post a pic if you are interested.

Hey guys,

I also did not care for the RS stock rear fender. I thought it was not very well supported, especially when it got muddy, it kind of flapped around. I put a Beta RR fender and taillight on my 2008 RS525. It bolted on and cost about $50 from the local Beta dealer, RPS. I pitched the turn signals. I will post a pic if you are interested.[/quote]

Mark over at RPS is a nice guy.?

I'd like to see your pictures as I'm getting closer to buy a Beta. I don't plan on changing out my break or tail lights until I break them....which I know will happen? so I might as well get some ideas now.

Hey guys,

I also did not care for the RS stock rear fender. I thought it was not very well supported, especially when it got muddy, it kind of flapped around. I put a Beta RR fender and taillight on my 2008 RS525. It bolted on and cost about $50 from the local Beta dealer, RPS. I pitched the turn signals. I will post a pic if you are interested.

Yes, I would like to see photos too. I thought about the R taillight which I would expect to be more of a bolt up, but does the brake work? Any worries about the long hand of the law?

I read that the RS has an electronic flasher, does that mean it will run all four led signals with no problem,. thanks

James

Yes, it does. It was just "plug & play" with the LED turn signals and they work fine with a normal flash rate. The flasher relay says "electronic" right on it.

Here are a couple of "love shots" from yesterday's ride:

DSC01815.jpg

DSC01809.jpg

• Like 1

DSC01772.jpg

DSC01771.jpg

DSC01773.jpg

So would you consider this a Master Beta? ?