Manual CCT-Easy to set?

Hey guys, I just picked up a really nice 03 450, and after reading all the threads on the cam tensioner, I've gotten really paranoid. I'm ordering a manual tensioner just in case, but my question is...is it easy to set? How do you know how tight to set it?

Most people overtighten these things by the way.

That's what I'm really afraid of, replacing something that is currently working and destroying the engine in the process. I'll follow the directions and see what happens I guess.

That's what I'm really afraid of, replacing something that is currently working and destroying the engine in the process. I'll follow the directions and see what happens I guess.

Just as a frame of reference about how tight to adjust the tensioner, Ive found that with the jam nut loosened, the actual adjuster bolt can be turned by hand to the correct tension. It really is easier to tell when the tensioner comes up against the chain guide turning it in by hand, than with any type of tool.

IMO another important point is that the tensioner should be adjusted with the engine shut off, I dont find any reason to adjust it with the engine running, although you could if you wanted to. I usually adjust mine in about 1/4 of a turn after the adjuster bolt makes contact with the chain guide. Hope that helps