Sign in to follow this  

Street Legal Plan for my 02 Kicker

Hey everyone,

After searching and trying to decide what bike to get with the intent of turning it into a motard, I ended up getting an 2002 DRZ 400 kicker and now I'm in the process of getting what I need to make it street legal.

I've read tons of threads on here, looked at different kits, and just wanted to see if someone could find a hole in my plan.

I plan on getting most of the parts from ebay, except for the ones where it costs more there, or they plain don't have them.

Item

DRZS Switch___________45

DRZS Harness__________45

Trailtechx2 headlight____81

Edge2 taillight__________62 NOT EBAY

Generic LED Blinkers_____30

Generic Horn___________10

Bar End Mirrors_________30

Hydro Brk Switch Frnt___20 NOT EBAY

Hydro Brk Switch Rear___20 NOT EBAY

LED Flasher Relay________7

Vapor w/Dash_________165 NOT EBAY

12v Battery ub1213_____17

Total Cost____________532

Couple of questions, do I really need a battery to keep it all going? I don't like the idea of being without lights if the bike goes lame on me. Is there a cheaper price for the Hydraulic brake switches? Do I need both?

I figure all the wiring will be there in the harness and switch to run everything and then just track it all down to where it goes, and get rid of the unneeded wire. That part probably costs a little more than making my own harness, but should be slightly cleaner/easier in my mind.

So did I miss anything, or could it be improved on?

Thanks for the wealth of info and I will be getting the MCCT and case savers in short order as well.

You will need a battery to keep it all going when the bike isnt running. I wouldnt add a battery though. Other than that seems pretty nice! Keep us updated.

I would checkout the Tusk Enduro Lighting Kit.....

It has a ton of what you need in it already and is like $160 bucks

you can get it at rocky mountain and its part number is Part# 1285760004

After thinking about this a bit, and talking with Forrest@Wheeling, I think I'm just going to get the DRC EZ electric kit from him. The differences in items are no battery and no mirrors included, but I don't have to mess with a harness either and have someone to go to for any issues instead of being SOL.

Wiring will now be 246 from wheeling, computer and headlight 247 from motostrano, mirrors 30 so it'll total out at 523 after s/h plus 30 for mirrors. My only concern is how long will batteries last, and how bright will the lights be.

The Tusk is tempting on price, but I don't know about the battery and quality. As for DOT concerns and passing inspections, I don't think they check that. At least they didn't check on my street bike when I had that inspected.

nism - Sounds OK. Myself I would not bother with the DRZ S wire harness. I think it will be more confusing than helpful.

Also I would buy an aftermarket switch pod, in place of the Suzuki. It will have all the functions in 1 place. K & S about $60.

Brake switches are about $20 each. Depends on your state if you ned both front and

rear.

No you do not really need a battery but it will work best if you have one. Required if your state says the lights need to burn with the motor off.

How will you mount the battery? DRZ E battery box is an option.

DRZ kicker regulator/rectifier will work fine with a battery.

Post 3 OK - Recheck you parts list and prices. What about a tail light?

nism - Sounds OK. Myself I would not bother with the DRZ S wire harness. I think it will be more confusing than helpful.

Also I would buy an aftermarket switch pod, in place of the Suzuki. It will have all the functions in 1 place. K & S about $60.

Brake switches are about $20 each. Depends on your state if you ned both front and

rear.

No you do not really need a battery but it will work best if you have one. Required if your state says the lights need to burn with the motor off.

How will you mount the battery? DRZ E battery box is an option.

DRZ kicker regulator/rectifier will work fine with a battery.

Post 3 OK - Recheck you parts list and prices. What about a tail light?

Just got off the phone with Forrest. Got the DRZ EZ kit w/ Edge 2. Now I'm trying to decide if the dashboard kit for the vapor is worth the extra $50 for 4 lights. I'm fond of the neutral indicator, and temp warning--but how "useful" is it really?

And finished ordering the rest from the TT store. Thank you new member discount. got the headlight, computer, case savers, and MCCT on the way. Here's hoping for a delivery by this weekend.

Edited by nismofun

Tires are next, but I can't decide if I want to go street oriented on the 21/18 or more of an offroad tread. Right now It'll mostly be commuting on paved roads with weekend farm riding (dirt, grass, woods), but the ultimate plan is to have a set of off road tires on the 21/18 and a set of 17s for the street.

Looking at the kenda 270 or similar. Doing the research on that now.

Missouri isn't too hard from everything I've read to get it plated, and some of the stuff I'm getting I don't actually need, but want for personal/safety reasons.

Thanks for the comments.

Tires

The stock DRZ400S tires are a death trap in the dirt. They should be the first thing you replace if you are going to go in the dirt. Since the DRZ400S is a dual sport bike we will need to find some Department of Transportation (DOT) approved knobbies.

Dunlop 606's are very highly rated

Pirelli MT21's are a good all around tire that will last for about 2000-3000 miles of pavement.

Kenda K760 TrackMaster II in the rear, and a Pirelli MT18 in front, very aggressive DOT legal combination.

I'm thinking about installing a hidden kill switch, and was curious if it would be possible to have the bike 'off' unless a momentary switch was used while kicking it over. Or would it just have to be an on/off type affair?

Before you spend all that money, make sure the VIN# doesn't pop at the DMV. Here in Oregon, certain VIN#'s come up on their computers as Off Road Only and no matter what you do to the bike, you can't get a plate because they say it's an emissions issue. All Japanese bikes are in their computer system, but apparently KTM's are not so you can still plate them here. Hopefully you won't have any problems!

according to Section 7 of the Title Manual It just has to meet safety requirements.

Titling Requirements for Dirt Bikes

If a vehicle does not meet the definition of an all-terrain vehicle, a

motorcycle, motortricycle, or a motorized bicycle, it is considered a “Dirt

Bike” and must be titled. A 1982 Missouri Supreme Court decision

ruled that for the purposes of collecting sales tax, a dirt bike is a motor

vehicle. Therefore, it is subject to the tax provided by Section 144.070,

RSMo. However, a dirt bike may not be registered for highway use,

unless it is modified to meet all safety requirements and pass a safety

inspection. For additional information on titling requirements for dirt bikes,

please call (573) 751-4509.

🤣👍

That's the 08-08 revision on page 7-6.

Good looking out though. And it's a good thing since I already spent the money.

Just got the bulk of it today, the only things I'm missing are the computer and headlight. Tomorrow or this weekend I'll start wiring it all in. I tested it tonight and all the connections work. The instructions are...interesting, but should be manageable. Will post when I get it all hooked up and plated.

Ordered tires (k760s) and spoons to change 'em. Still $30 less than local shop. That'll pay for DIY sliders. And waiting on TTstore to ship. Hopefully it doesn't take long to get here.

Edited by nismofun

Installed most of the EZ wiring kit today. Pretty simple other than finding a spot for all the stuff behind the headlight. I had one problem, which was my fault. I over tightened the banjo bolt on the rear brake and snapped the head off. Forrest took care of me and got my replacement order out the door today. Can't beat that service. He might not be the cheapest, but he takes care of his customers.

I did notice that the rear bolt with the leads on it interferes with the rear master cylinder, so I ordered the banjo low profile replacement. Hopefully that fixes the issue. If not, I'll just zip tie it on some how. I didn't get around to the edge 2 or rear blinkers today as I forgot my drill, and didn't have access to one where my bike is. Should get that done this weekend.

The horn is...more like a high pitched ring than a honk since it's electric. I might end up replacing that just for personal taste. I rarely use the horn though so we'll see.

TT order shipped today and should be here by Wed, and then I just have to wire up the headlight and comp, install the tires that should be here next week as well, and get an inspection. Then come the security stuff so I can actually ride on the streets.