Kinda Sad - Bye-Bye CRF230F

Well I decided to sell my CRF230F. As some of you might recall I got is sooo inexpensively that it was unreal because the bike had been dropped had bent bars, pipe etc... and I had all the stuff that came off my CRF150F that bolted right on.

Did tons of fork mods to the stockers to see if I could get them to my liking for play riding - never could. Did jetting, airbox, exhaust mods. Put on an Renthal rear and non o-ring chain (loved it).

The bike has a really fun-fun engine. I just figured I'd go ahead and sell it and down the road sometime, pick up a newer one and do it right.

I'll have to pull up the info on bearings and things of that nature that some of you put up - and see if I can't graph' a 92/93 KX250 front end on one. Those are the smoothest, best forks I've ever ridden. Everyone seems to love both camps for the rear shock so I figure whatever I get (in the future) will work just fine.

I've owned/bought/sold more bikes than most people could ever dream of owning. This was the first bike I was sad to see go. The engine alone is worth the price of admission because it's so toquey, and fun & easy to ride. It's not my YZ450F big bore but it was never meant to be - it is what it is, and it did a pretty darn good job of that.

So I'm down to a CRF150F (sold one of them). That bike has a lot of BBR stuff on it, but I need to throw the 175cc kit on it and see if Mike or one of our motard guys has a really high rev cam I can put into it...

Hope everyone has been good - it's riding weather in FL gotta hit it!

Peace...

Mike

I ended up staying with the stock front and stock rear tooth count.

The aluminum sprocket is lighter and by putting the non o-ring chain on there I find the bike revs much quicker.

There are a lot of posts talking about 428, 520 non o-ring and 520 o-ring chains.

I'd have to say if you're riding off-road all the time and not someone that likes cleaning their chain - the o-ring is great -but- you can take an o-ring chain after it's warm, put your bike up on a stand and spin the rear wheel. There is still lots of drag from alllll those o-rings. Do the same test with a non o-ring chain and you'll wonder when it's going to stop spinning.

Point being the non o-ring chain, allows the bike to rev much quicker so I was very happy with the performance gain of the lighter alum sprocket and non o-ring chain.

If I were to do anything... I might have actually dropped the rear a tooth so I'd get more MPH (even though it'd be slight) out of each gear (I'm in flat Florida with no hills). If I were in a hilly area though, I can see going up a couple teeth on the rear!

Mike

48 on the rear now and find it like a tractor in 1st,like the feel of 2nd and I find myself starting it off in that gear sometimes,even on the hills.Thats why I was thinking of the 46 but a bit scared it will ruin my 2nd

You know what - I think we're on the same page. First is very short and 2nd/3rd are great gears. I don't think it'd hurt you to drop a couple teeth on the rear. These engines are just so torquey, I think you might really like it.

Mike