Neck wound

The girlfriend took a pretty bad digger today and is left with a pretty nasty scrape on her neck (see pic). The short story is that pinballed off a rock, got off track, and was dragged off her bike by the neck from a large pine tree branch the size of my arm. It actually scared the hell out of me coming back to see where she was, and she was staggering around the trail clutching her neck. I don't mind hurting myself at all....but damn...thinking about her holding her neck with some blood on her hands is keeping me up late right now....broken bones etc. are treatable on a trail, but the thought of a gaping neck wound in the middle of nowhere scares the shit out of me...

Anyway... it didn't warrant a trip to the ER so I'm wondering what the treatment for a wound like this would be. I would hate to see it scar her for life. Basically it is wheeping blood constantly and she is in a lot of discomfort. The pharmacist recommended initial treatment of Polysporin with a numbing agent for the discomfort (lidocane?) and follow that up in a couple days with regular Polysporin (which I have both of). He didn't give me a definite answer on wether to keep it dressed or let it breath. He did say an option would be those gel type bandaids (like that "second skin" stuff).

Taking any and all opinions...should a person let it breath or cover it? Keep it dry or moist with one of those gel type bandaids? she works with the public so a gooey bandage on her neck is concerning to her.

This is right after we cleaned it up back at the truck. It is much more bruised, swollen, and wheeping blood now...

IMG00263.jpg

Edited by loopsrider

I wouldn't cover it up, let it breathe and just let it scab up. But if I worked in a germy place I would cover it there(and uncover it while at home). She can try ibuprofen for the pain too(I would do that first before spraying stuff on it). That's just what I would do tho.

Clean it with soap and water. I wouldn't hesitate to put some triple antibiotic ointment on it either (day or so). Cover it if you if you're gonna be getting dirty, otherwise open to air like the puppy said. Doesn't look too deep, so shouldn't be long before a nice itchy scab forms 👍 Might look into some scar reducing creams at the drug store, too, yes?

• 2 weeks later...
ajfreeze is correct..cover during day or if dirt is present..while in house leave open to breath..dont allow a bandage to dilodge scabs..shell be ok,my son tore a acl and it was two days before i took him to the doc. suck it up

Easy there buddy...👍

That's my lady you're telling to suck it up...

If you read instead of just looking at the pictures you'll realize she did a pretty good job at sucking it up. She couldn't swallow food for 24 hours and didn't go whining into the ER. Sucking it up after a third gear bail into a tree is pretty good for someone of the finer sex... The question I asked was more for the treatment of the wound to prevent scarring (which it has slightly)...not about the severety of the injury...

thanks for the input anyway there big guy....🤣

EDIT: Why after reading back in your history posts do the "O'doyle rules!!" scenes from the Billy Madison movie come into my head....🙂

• Like 1

Get some Vitamin E oil to put on it. You can get it in gel caps at Wal-mart that you can poke with a pin to the the oil out or straight oil in a bottle if you are lucky enough to have a good health food store./ Tell her to put it on it 3 times a day at least. Clean with soap and water, pat dry, put Vit. E oil on it. Try to keep her out of the sun so that she does not tan around the scab.

I had skin cancer removed from my nose that required 37 stitches! As soon as the stitches came off I started putting the Vit. E oil on it 4 times a day. I could see the difference going from the morning to the afternoon! GREAT stuff!

Tell her good luck!

Kim

This was my neck a few years ago. I kept it covered probably 85% of the time and kept a lot of antibiotic ointment with novacaine or whatever on it. It healed up almost perfectly within a few weeks or so. Now you can't see any traces of it. I was 30 at the time.

1401.jpg

Edited by 151

Dude I forgot to say earlier but it is probably important. She needs to stretch her neck. Maybe ask a doctor first about how long to wait but I would not wait too long. The skin will heal up tight and when she moves her head she will feel it pulling tight araound the back of her neck or up on her face. I didnt know this when I did mine and when it started healing up it was a weird feeling. I asked around and was told to stretch it out now or I might not be able to later.

Must have worked. I do not have any trouble with it now.