Had a bike wreck this weekend, need some input.

Ello peeps, hope all is well been a while since I've posted. But anyways.... Friday evening I pulled the XRL out of the garage to get it started and lubed up for the first ride this season which was SUPPOST to be Saturday with the guys. Well bike started right up, I threw a leg over her and figured I'd go a mile down the road and come back to get her stretched a little. Well on the way back I was enjoying myself bike sounded great and ran good, was on my way home to have some good dinner with my woman and my son.....bike WAS doing great for sitting months on end. Then a deer ran out in front of me.... I struck the deer at 45mph. Was thrown from my bike to the left side and hit the pavement. Left side of my face was peeled off with multiple skull fractures and severe road burn on my left side. Deep scrapes and brusing on the rest of my body. I was in trama for a while and intesive care. They peeled my face back in place and stiched it together and was talked to by a plastic surgeon, was told my fractures should heal and none of the fragments where out of place. I always wore my shell but thought it was just a ride up and down the road.....what could it hurt. Well, now I know. All the riding I've ever done and the one accident that got me closest to meeting my maker was a few minutes down the road from my house. It's always when you least expect it. If yall want pics I can post some, but didnt at this time to keep the thread friendly as possible. But am willing to. So please wear the shells and gear at all time!

2nd section of my post is about my bike: She is heavily damaged. Bars, levers, fenders lights and almost all the plastics are all smashed and ground down. Fork are working fine but the left side bottom is ground down pretty deep from sliding. Clutch housing on the left side of the engine next to the shift lever is smashed open. I have a few electrical issues that need worked out. The back tail section of the frame that helmet lock is on is bent downwards and the exhaust side is bent upwards. Kickstand is broken off with a bent mount. SO! Time for some work. I wanted to know if someone could give me so input or a link to the CR fork swap. I want to redo my bike from the ground up but seem to be the least informed on this part. I plan on the CR forks Swap, Aloop kit and some "more current" plastics. Love the XRL don't feel like replacing her. Any incite or advice would be helpfull at all. Thanks Peeps and please ride safe!

• Like 1

Damn man, thats some story. Hope your face heals up ok - I have no doubt the bike will end up better than new. I'm not an expert in the fork swap, yet, so I'll leave the detail to those that have done it before.

Good luck

The fork swap is pretty simple, did it on my 87 . If you buy a complete front end , triples , forks and wheel, the swap isnt much more than bearings . My front end was off an 02 cr250. I had the steering stem pressed out and turned down to match the XR stem size and the new bearing pressed on. Then assemble . Big improvement. Oh , sorry to hear about your accident , heal up quick man.

I trust that you took the deer home and cooked it - venison is soooooo nice.

But purleeees always wear a helmet, I know it looks like your an old man but then at least you get to be an old man....

Hope you heal quickly and get the bike sorted

Sorry to hear that happened to you, but I'm glad you didn't sustain a serious brain injury. That poster, I think his name is keithluneau, needs to read this thread. He likes to laugh about not wearing a helmet. It's actually not funny at all.

I hate hearing about fellow riders getting hurt. Hope you make a quick recovery. 👍

Personally, I would make a list of everything that is still good on the bike and part it out. An insurance company would have declared it a total loss anyway and it sounds like replacement parts will likely cost about what the bike is worth.

Ouch!!! Sorry to hear about your accident Bro.

If you decide to keep the bike and rebuild it, let me know as I have spare plastics and tons of other parts and all you'd have to pay is the shipping.

Heal up fast and let us know what you decide to do. 👍