Oil Change

I was wondering how everyone checks their oil. Since the oil in stored in the frame and the engine is dry sump after my bike sits a few days the level in the frame drops away from the dip stick. What is the proper way to check the oil while in the middle of an oil change cycle? Do I warm the machine then let it sit a few minutes to check it or what?

...Do I warm the machine then let it sit a few minutes to check it or what?

Yep! ­čĹŹ The manual says to let it run for 3 minutes and then sit for 3 minutes, but it's been most people's experience that it needs to run a bit longer to get a good reading. I generally check after I get home from work (45 minute ride) and get all my gear off.

the oil will drain back into the sump eventually after the bike has been sitting overnight or longer.if there is no signs of an oil leak anywhere then there's enough oil in the crankcase to run the motor.start the bike and let it warm up then take it for a 10 min. ride and shut it off.let the oil level stabilize for a minute or two then pull the dipstick and check the level while holding the bike straight upright.

there is also a checkbolt behind the rear brake pedal that can be removed to check the oil level in the crankcase to determine if the motor can be safely started.it's all illustrated in the owner's manual.

The easiest and safest way to check it is at the end of the days riding. Pull it into the garage and shut it down. Take about three minutes to remove your helmet and jacket and grab a beer. Now stand her up and check the oil level. Good? Put her away. Now when you come back to her if there is no puddle underneath you know you are good to go.

^^ +1 to that. I usually just pull out the little dipstick a couple minutes after a ride to check the oil. I do it almost every time after a ride just to make sure its still there. Just be consistent on how you check it so that you always have something to compare to.

Ok, I thought I was versed in this...why would oil be visible on the frame/engine/ground, obviously because of a leak.... when its sort of oil? I could understand if it were due to an overfill but low on oil?

I stand by to be educated.

From a cold engine, let the engine idle 3 minutes then turn engine off. After 3 minutes with engine off, remove dipstick and wipe off oil. With bike upright, insert dipstick back into filler hole until threads on cap touch threads in filler hole. Do not screw the cap back in, the threads just need to touch. Now remove dipstick and take a reading. This procedure is according to the owner's manual.

Everyone seems to have their own method. I assume the method above is designed to be accurate because it supposes that if the engine is started from cold and idled 3 minutes every time an oil reading is taken, the oil temperature should be similar each time and oil volume expansion should not be factor. In practice though, I don't think this method works that well.