Laws regarding where you can ride?

Hello all. I have a question I was hoping you guys could help me with. Basically where is it legal to ride your dirtbike? I know you can't ride on the street, but what about bayous, dirt trails (that are NOT marked with NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES), sidewalks, etc. The reason I'm asking is because I have a small wooded trail system that I usually ride that is close to my house, but just recently a friend of a friend said that he was fined for riding the same trails. Specifically, the trail system I ride requires that you navigate through bayous, retention fields, and of course wooded trails that consist of single track and fire roads. And as far as I know, the area where I ride is not private property (understanding that it would be illegal to ride on private property if the owner has issues with it). I was a bit skeptical and didn't get all the details of specifically what he was fined for, but I would hate to be riding and get fined as well. Thanks ahead of time for the help. 👍

Yeah, Texas is a pretty ride unfriendly state I'm finding out. I bought an OHV sticker for my bike to ride marshal creek and they haven't even made an attempt to get it open. The state sponsored program from what I can see is a joke. We have so much land that could be used for riding that just sits.

Somebody owns the land - most likely it is privately owned. But if not, it may be designated wetlands or some other government sanctioned property. Best to ask the local law enforcement folks (city or county), one will know; especially if they are fining people. Even though it's not posted, there may be an ordinance governing it's use.

Yeah, Texas is a pretty ride unfriendly state I'm finding out. I bought an OHV sticker for my bike to ride marshal creek and they haven't even made an attempt to get it open. The state sponsored program from what I can see is a joke. We have so much land that could be used for riding that just sits.

Your OHV sticker is also good at Northwest Park in Bridgeport. It is a lot more technical than Marshall Creek though.

When I ride, there are times when I see police officers drive by and they make no attempt to stop me, so I assume that I am okay. Strange though because usually those are the times when I am on the side walk crossing the bridge or the street to get to the fields or trails. Thanks again for your help.

Bridgeport is an hour away vs. Marshal creek is 10 minutes. I have a membership to TMX anyway, which is just as close and tons better, it's just the point that we have so much land in TX and so little riding areas, especially considering the size of the DFW metroplex. For an area with a population this size to not be served by some public riding area is a travesty.