Eldorado closed ??

My riding buddy lives near the bottom of grizzly flat rd (he also runs) he saw a bunch of clean bikes in trucks and all muddy when they came back!! where were they riding?? Elkins area? On private land or just no rangers? same stuff went on last year.๐Ÿคฃ they better open it on the first, haven't had any rain:banana:๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™‚ April fools we GO:p:p:smirk:

This from a friend last Friday. He too is very involved in matters of the ENF so I trust his judgment and know he has the contacts to get this kind of information:

I spoke with **** ***** today, he is the ranger that checks the soil conditions regarding opening the Forest on April 1st. Apparently they were considering extending the closure for several weeks based on the upper level snows without any site inspection. However, they decided to do a site inspection today. I did not get the feeling that they were upbeat about opening up the Forest. They will make the announcement on Tuesday, but I expect they will leave it closed for several weeks.

As for your question about if some people are riding up there already, well we all know that to some degree the rules only apply to those that know them and decide to follow them. The anti-access Nazis don't want the FS to enforce these rules, they would prefer to go out and gather evidence that the rules aren't being followed or enforced so they can file more lawsuits.

ever hear of wilseyville???

Wilseyville used to be one of the best places to ride ever.

But - it is Sierra Pacific Industries land and Forest Land.

None of it is legal to ride on.

It used to be ignored, and people rode.

But no one picked up their trash, the place went to Hell.

Sierra Pacific got sick of it - had the sheriff keep people out - since it is private land.

It is heavily patrolled.

You will get ticketed.

It's too bad - that place was awesome.

Bald Mountain weather station reports almost 1.7 " of rain already from this storm, so looks like GT will be closed for another month or so. ๐Ÿ™‚

I've heard that one of the "new bridges" at GT might be across the deep water crossing. That would suck big time, but you might want to ride that a bunch, and take pictures, before its gone.๐Ÿคฃ

I'm going to try to do a bunch of dual sport rides this summer when we can get into the high country, I'll try to stay in touch. ๐Ÿ‘

date: March 31, 2010 contact: Frank mosbacher

release: Upon receipt phone: 530-621-5268

eldorado national forest dirt roads and trails remain closed to motor

vehicles due to recent storms

placerville, caโ€ฆ the seasonal closure of eldorado national forest dirt roads and trails to

motor vehicles has been extended due the unexpected intensity of the latest storm and the

weather forecast of intermittent storms over the next few weeks, announced forest supervisor

ramiro villalvazo. These routes will remain closed until they are dried out sufficiently and no

major storms are forecasted. Last year the dirt routes opened on april 15.

โ€œa week ago, i announced that based on the best information i had at the time, the seasonal

closure would be lifted on april 1,โ€ said villalvazo. โ€œthe storm that came in was much

stronger than was anticipated and the responsible thing for me to do now is to keep the roads

closed for a while longer.โ€

villalvazo said that the minimum annual seasonal closure of native surfaced roads, also known

as dirt roads, is january 1 through march 31 which comprise the historically wettest months of

the year. The seasonal closure however can be put in place sooner or extended longer if

weather and road conditions warrant.

The purpose of the seasonal closure is to protect water quality, prevent erosion, and reduce

damage to roads and trails.

The seasonal closure does not affect routes in the rock creek area of the national forest near

georgetown, which are managed under different closure criteria.

Forest visitors should contact the ranger station closest to where they want to visit for the

latest road and trail information. Routes that will be open to motorized travel are identified on

free of charge motorized vehicle travel maps, now available at all eldorado national forest

offices.

-fs

3/31/10

This story ran in the Mt. Democrat today;

Seasonal closure of forest roads ends soon

| | March 28, 2010 09:29

Designated dirt roads and trails in the Eldorado National Forest will reopen to motorized use on April 1, ending the wet weather seasonal closure that began on Jan. 1, announced Forest Supervisor Ramiro Villalvazo. The Forest Service closed these routes to protect water quality, prevent erosion and reduce damage to roads and trails.

โ€œIโ€™m allowing the seasonal closure to come to an end on March 31st,โ€ said Villalvazo. โ€œI am sure there are many people who are anxious for the opportunity to get out into our beautiful, great outdoors. However, I want to remind all potential forest visitors that with the freedom to visit the forest on motorized vehicles comes the responsibility to ensure that your activities do not cause resource damage.โ€

The western edge of the Eldorado National Forest has many routes that are located in clay soils that get muddy and easily develop ruts. Villalvazo said most of these routes are dry enough to be reopened by April 1. Visitors who drive on routes that are too wet and cause resource damage, however, may receive citations.

โ€œIn the future, decisions about allowing the seasonal closure to end will be influenced by the evidence of how well the wet or soft soils have been recognized and respected,โ€ said Villalvazo. โ€œI ask that you be cautious about decisions to drive in areas that still have snow on or near the road.โ€

Higher elevations of the National Forest are still covered with snow and the roads wonโ€™t be passable until the snow melts. Villalvazo said most of the designated routes in the higher elevations have soils that dry out faster than clay soils and are less susceptible to damage.

The decision to reopen designated motorized routes does not affect routes in the Rock Creek area of the National Forest near Georgetown, which are managed under different closure criteria.

Forest visitors should contact the ranger station closest to where they want to visit for the latest road and trail information. Routes open to motorized travel are identified on free-of-charge motorized vehicle travel maps, now available at all Eldorado National Forest offices.