Sign in to follow this  

xr650l temp differences

does anybody have the dip stick temp gauge and the trail tech. just curious the difference in temp btw the two. was riding with a friend this weekend and he had the temp dip stick and i have the trail tech. his numbers were a little lower but his motor felt a lot hotter and he has a oil cooler. wanted to find out what yall had to say about this?

right but we each have one....i have the trail tech with the higher numbers and he has the dip stick but his engine feels way hotter. thats why im asking if someone has both to compare.

my bike doesnt run real hot....170-180 on the road and if im going slow in the woods it will get as high as 300 but will cool down to 225 or cooler once i start going. his temp gauge was showing 225ish and you couldnt get your hand near the engine. ive seen my bike get up to 350 a couple of times when stuck with high reving and it never felt that hot.

Where is the thermocouple for your Trail Tech?

Also, the accuracy of the "feel" method of determining temperature can likened to licking your finger and holding it out to determine wind speed.

my bike doesnt run real hot....170-180 on the road and if im going slow in the woods it will get as high as 300 but will cool down to 225 or cooler once i start going. his temp gauge was showing 225ish and you couldnt get your hand near the engine. ive seen my bike get up to 350 a couple of times when stuck with high reving and it never felt that hot.

k cool, I seem to run around 240-250 pretty consistently...going by the oil temp stick anyway

a mix of regular road riding at various speeds with some slower woods stuff

gets a lil hotter in summer, but not too much...250 seems to be the norm

i got a oil cooler and dip stick temp guage. and my temp never gets over 200. and before the oil cooler it would get up to 250 no problem. but i guess it would be getting a cooler reading with dip stick guage becuase my oil goes through the oil cooler then into the frame. anyone have both and noticed a big difference?

Alot of variables between the 2. The dipstick is reading a higher volume of oil that can disipate some of the engine heat into the frame and other parts. Yours is reading relative temp of pickup or scavenged oil as it enters or leaves the motor. Yours should read more transient temps while his should average them more. Hot oil only indicates hotter engine parts. Since the head and cam are the first damage points I would consider switching the TrailTech to read head temp.

MARV that day we were riding the engine was knocking like crazy from the low oct gas so engine wax rob hotter than norm. I am not sure about keeping the oil cooler haven't looked it over yet.

What?

yea...what?

ive had a oil cooler for about 2k so far, no problems. runs way cooler. cooler oil = longer oil life 👍