From 2 stroke dirt bike to ninja 250r trouble

Ok been on my Rm 125 for the past 4 years. I have gotten use to the lack of engine breaking and how to come to a stop from a decent speed. I just got a Ninja 250r for my first street bike and Im having so much trouble with this whole stopping thing. The bike jerks so much from the engine and going down in the gears to slow down.

Anyone ever make this transition?? If so how did you deal with the breaking and stuff. I want to ride so bad but I know I would be un safe on the roads so right now im just in the neighborhood.

You say the bike "jerks" from the engine while downshifting. This usually indicates an abrupt clutch movement. There are 2 methods of smooth downshifting.

Method 1.. you drop the gear and ease the clutch out, sort of like you would when taking off from a stop. This gives the motor a chance to match the speed of the rear wheel against the back torque of the 4 stroke motor, without the "jerk" your feeling.

Method 2.. (this one takes a little practice) drop the gear and blip the throttle to match the engine speed with the rear wheel speed, and let the clutch out pretty quickly. Get it right and it's the smoothest way to downshift and produces the least wear and tear on the clutch/driveline. Get it wrong, and you have the big "jerk" again.

Also, don't try to use downshifting to slow the bike for stopping, that's what the brakes are for. Slow with the front brake (only use the rear brake for very slow maneuvering in parking lots, and as a parking brake at stop lights), and watch your tachometer, downshift when the RPM gets down to around 2500. Way less back torque and jerking on things when the motor is spinning slower.

Another suggestion I would like to give you.. take a MSF beginning rider course.. http://www.msf-usa.org/index_new.cfm?spl=2&action=display&pagename=RiderCourse%20Info

They will walk you through all kinds of stuff like this. Great $$ investment for a new rider.

Hope some of this helps.

Ride safe.👍

I am gonna sign up for the course but prolly not before im on the road. I got my TIP last week. But all the cheaper courses are FULL till middle of may. If I somehow get a extra 300 bucks though I will I might invest in the course sooner. I still have yet to get a decent jacket and boots to ride in.

practice the throttle blip while downshifting. It really is the most appropriate way to downshift. I actually went through the opposite learning curve. I started on street bikes and a 4 stroke dirt bike and learned that method. I was totally lost when i picked up a 2 stroke dirt bike (really didn't help that the rear brake line was leaking on my first ride).

I just got a Ninja 250r for my first street bike and Im having so much trouble with this whole stopping thing. The bike jerks so much from the engine and going down in the gears to slow down.

As you've noticed, the Ninjette has a lot of compression braking... completely different than 2 strokes. As for your jerking, you might check the chain for adjustment and condition. These can cause some "bounce".

Until you get used to the bike, you might keep it in the lower RPMs. It has a fair amount of low end torque and is mild mannered in that range. I mostly use brakes to slow the bike, especially below 40 MPH.