Hi Guys

I am in the market for a new exhaust. This would be my first step towards an after market pipe.

I can get my hands on a reasonably priced FMF Q4. Are these any good? Do I need a new header pipe as well??

I am not looking for a pipe that is way too noisy. I don't want to pis* too many people off.

Are there any good alternatives (bearing in mind I live in Europe).

I have already installed the JD kit and opened up the top of the airbox. Am I going to have to re-jet again??

Educate me.............................

There's no better sound limiting aftermarket pipe than the FMF Q4. You can get one compatible with the stock header or you can get one with a mid-pipe that is compatible with one of their aftermarket headers.

In retrospect, I wish I would have gotten the Q4 instead of the 4.1. I initially set my bike up for high speed desert stuff, where sound isn't much of an issue, but there are other places I ride where it would be nice to be a little stealthier. Other than stock, I would bet the Q4 has one of the lowest dB levels of any pipe. They've done dyno tests that show it doesn't inhibit horsepower too much, if at all.

It's just really important to repack the FMF mufflers routinely, in my opinion. Maybe once a year (or more depending on the conditions you ride). Repacking is about $35 per kit.

I just bought a new left over 08450x and put a Q4 on it with stock header. I have it jetted and opened the airbox as well as blocked off the smog stuff. Today was my first ride on it and I liked it a lot with that pipe. It is smooth off the bottom and rips just fine through the mid and on top. I have had a lot of bikes but this is my first Honda 450.

I just bought a new left over 08450x and put a Q4 on it with stock header. I have it jetted and opened the airbox as well as blocked off the smog stuff. Today was my first ride on it and I liked it a lot with that pipe. It is smooth off the bottom and rips just fine through the mid and on top. I have had a lot of bikes but this is my first Honda 450.

I have the same setup as you. Is the Q4 louder than stock? What did it do to the low to mid of the motor?

• Like 1

My buddy has a Q4 (with his stock header). I can't really speak to any power gains since it's not on my bike but he seems to think it helped. Sound-wise it's probably a little more quiet than my stock x muffler (which has the baffle removed), and it's definitely more quiet than the stock R muffler I run when we're at the desert.

My buddy has a Q4 (with his stock header). I can't really speak to any power gains since it's not on my bike but he seems to think it helped. Sound-wise it's probably a little more quiet than my stock x muffler (which has the baffle removed), and it's definitely more quiet than the stock R muffler I run when we're at the desert.

Is it louder than the stock X muffler though? I dont want to be loud but I can barely hear my own bike so I'm looking for a little more sound....plus I'd like to let it breathe a little more.

I could be wrong, but I'd say it's in between the stock X muffler (w/baffle) and the X muffler without the baffle. Removing the baffle was among the first mods I did to my bike so I never got the chance to do a side-by-side with the bone stock x muffler.

I'm pretty sure that you'd like both the noise level and the tone of the Q4, though.. I think they sound great and FMF is known for making a great exhaust. I don't think you can go wrong with that choice. I'd have one myself if I could spare the $.

Matt

It is louder than stock but it is in no way loud. I don't know how the bike felt before my set up because I never rode it stock. I have ridden a highly modified X with a lot of hop up mods before. I like the way my bike feels. The bottom is controllable and smooth at 1/4 throttle opening. Open it up to go fast and it goes. I will eventually get the suspension done but will live with stock for a few months. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Q unless you are looking for muscle car type power from the bottom on. Then you probably need a louder more expensive set up.

Hi Guys

I am in the market for a new exhaust. This would be my first step towards an after market pipe.

I can get my hands on a reasonably priced FMF Q4. Are these any good? Do I need a new header pipe as well??

I am not looking for a pipe that is way too noisy. I don't want to pis* too many people off.

Are there any good alternatives (bearing in mind I live in Europe).

I have already installed the JD kit and opened up the top of the airbox. Am I going to have to re-jet again??

Educate me.............................

I installed the Q4 last year and I am very happy with it. I personally found it to be slightly quieter than my stock and I did notice a slight performance increase. It sounds better than stock also. I did not need to change the header pipe.

I have the JD kit installed with the top of the air box opened as well. No changes done when I added the Q4.

Mike

I'm not sure of the power gain from just changing to the Q4 since I did the airbox and JD kit at the same time which gave a very noticable power gain thru out the powerband and the bike runs very clean from top to bottom. One thing not mentioned is you also lose 3-4 lbs over the stocker.(maybe 2-3???) When you hold them in your hand, side by side, very noticeble

I have a Q4 and Megabomb. I had a stock exhaust with the baffle trimmed. The Q4 is a fair bit louder. I am not sure how old mine was but it seems to be getting louder too. I dont mind as I am riding on the street and like to be heard.

Do you wish you had bought a new header with the Q4?

right now I have a Leovince exhaust I bought as a slip - on and then bought the header to go with. the OD of the header is the same as the OD of the aftermarket header is the same as stock at the connection but the rest of the pipe is bigger.

anyways my vince now has a high flowing endcap fabricated from a chunk of bent stock header:smirk: The system flows great and makes great power but there are times that I would like to be a bit quieter without restricting the flow so much... will a Q4 slip on fit on my vince header? how well do the Q4s flow?