New Bike Suspension Adapts to Terrain in 7ms

Say goodbye to those bump-worn knees, dear bikers! At least in the next few years.

The Cannondale Simon is the first bike-suspension fork that's completely computerized. It's basically a bike shock that automatically adapts its resistance and clearance depending on the terrain.

An accelerometer and optical sensor update the computer 500 times a second. Based on speed and the bumpiness of the ride, the software directs an electric motor to adjust the valve size of the hydraulics.

Smaller valve sizes means less oil goes through, creating more support and less shock movement. This maintains the wheels' grip on the terrain, allowing more pedaling power to propel the bike forward on flat surfaces. A more open valve provides more cushioning for those rocky trails.

The Cannondale Simon is accurate enough to make adjustments amounting to 1/1000 of a millimeter, within a seven millisecond period. This, according to manufacturer, allows changes faster than the human brain can react.

Will this becoming a necessity for mountain bikers? Or another premium item that will add to the cost of entry for any would-be enthusiast? Whatever the case, Cannondale promises the Simon will hit retail within a few years.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/cannondale-bike-suspension-terrain-shocks,news-6203.html

cannondale-simon-bike-suspension,M-U-241878-13.jpg

It's interesting...the tech involved in high tech cars is coming slowly to bikes... maybe we might be seeings these in our bikes in the future.

complicated and dirtbikes rarely works well

does this use the new magnetic oils like cars are using?

My understanding is that it uses normal oil and adjusts the orifice size instead. The magnetic oils concept is pretty cool, but in a bike it might require too much electricity to be a viable option. That's just a guess though. Ohlins is coming out with an electronic suspension also. As of right now, I think it's only on streetbike stuff, they'll be using it in WSB this year and I think it's coming in MY 2011 on a production bike, maybe the new BMW RR1000 superbike.

What do you do if you dont like how the computer decides to make your suspension? The fact that its reacts scares me to, hate to hit a tall steep jump that when you compress into the base of the face it reacts and changes as you are coming off the lip.

What do you do if you dont like how the computer decides to make your suspension? The fact that its reacts scares me to, hate to hit a tall steep jump that when you compress into the base of the face it reacts and changes as you are coming off the lip.

most likely these things will be considered and different kinds of settings will be used for offroad bikes.

The "reader" would most likely be someother kind of tech that senses wheel sliding etc but I think it's a good step and in the future i'm sure we will be seeing this kind of tech into our bikes..

No more custom valving to suit your riding habits.. it will all be programmable or pre-programmed.

all you would need is a custom spring for your weight and thats it.

I'm not passing judgment.... ok maybe I am, but this is going to be yet another failed Cannondale "innovation". They have a looooong history of doing this and I'm pretty sure mostly all of their innovations have failed right outta the gate.

Maybe so, but at least they're trying to push the envelope. I know the headshock never really took off. Don't have a problem with it on my Jeckyl, but if I ever want a different fork, there are plenty of options to go to a conventional fork of my choice.

Maybe so, but at least they're trying to push the envelope. I know the headshock never really took off. Don't have a problem with it on my Jeckyl, but if I ever want a different fork, there are plenty of options to go to a conventional fork of my choice.

The Headshock was/is the single worst "suspension" product known to mountain biking. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little, but its definitely in the top 3. That includes elastomer suspension and Zzyxx/Hannebreak crap.

The worst after market fork is 100x better than any headshock.

Pushing the envelope makes sense if what you are producing actually works well and is somewhat reliable.

suspension constantly changing while riding would actually be IMO better than anything else... as it adapts to all kinds of terrain change = faster,less fatigue etc...

We all know how our suspension on our bikes are hard to set,custom adapted to each rider & must be adapted to the kind of riding you do... woods,track, etc..

Not a dirt bike, but the new Ducati Multistrada has a number of user settings for the suspension controlled by a switch. It even has an 'enduro' mode - a marketing gimmick that has nothing to do with real enduro riding, but something to use to compete with the BMW GS.

I think there are a number of other bikes out there with something similar.

I don't know about a 'proactive' suspension, but a suspension where you could switch between different mappings on the fly might be interesting. One mapping for picking through a rock garden, another mapping for fast open ground riding, and so on.

As for a computer reading the terrain and setting the suspension accordingly - how is it going to know what line I am going to pick until I pick it a second or so before I travel it??

I know a little about software and AI (I am a Code Monkey) and yes even sensors - they are not that far along yet, although they have made good progress in the last few years.

I think it could be promising for an enduro rider like myself, if the CPU "sees" I'm in 2nd gear and low RPM, it could go soft to suck up tree roots and rocks, but as soon as I click into 3rd and the RPMs come up, then it stiffens up since I've obviously hit some more open trail and I need the bike to be able to take bigger hits. Of course, how does the CPU know that even though I'm in 2nd and low RPM, I'm about to launch off an 8' drop off "trials style"? Obviously it will take a lot of work and testing and we're years away from it being ready for the real world, but I'm all for people trying to advance the sport.