Legal or not to ride?

Hello all. I have a question I was hoping you guys could help me with. Basically where is it legal to ride your dirtbike? I know you can't ride on the street, but what about bayous, dirt trails (that are NOT marked with NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES), sidewalks, etc. The reason I'm asking is because I have a small wooded trail system that I usually ride that is close to my house, but just recently a friend of a friend said that he was fined for riding the same trails. Specifically, the trail system I ride requires that you navigate through bayous, retention fields, and of course wooded trails that consist of single track and fire roads. And as far as I know, the area where I ride is not private property (understanding that it would be illegal to ride on private property if the owner has issues with it). I was a bit skeptical and didn't get all the details of specifically what he was fined for, but I would hate to be riding and get fined as well. Thanks ahead of time for the help.

Im not a expert but a dirtbike can't be ride anywere. You can basictly ride your bike anywhere in the forets. BUT you can't if it a private terrain or maybe the owner let you(thats ok). If you see somewhere it says you can be fined to drive there, its not there for no reason. So what ever you do , ride in trails be sure its not private and if you see a cop , dont throttle, just brake. It will sure do a big difference on your wallet (trust me). Cops will find you if you try to espace, only in movie we see people escaping, so take that in mind. Its a good idea your asking does question. Like i said, if you drive correctly and avoid the private terrain there should not be any problem.

happy riding

I can ride my dirtbike on the street. ­čĹŹ

As for off-road, I only go where I *know* it is legal. If I am in doubt I don't ride the area. I hate trespassers, and I hate people who break the rules and make it worse for the rest of us.

If there is doubt then ask the person or organization responsible for administration of the property.

Basically you need to know the following, who owns the land, if it's county land then you need to check county and our state ordinance/laws, second who maintains the roads, again if it's county or state then they are roads and vehicle codes apply.

Basically you need to know the following, who owns the land, if it's county land then you need to check county and our state ordinance/laws, second who maintains the roads, again if it's county or state then they are roads and vehicle codes apply.

+1 As you are from Texas, you have to worry about the differences in the laws from state to state. Check with your state DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES or whatever Texas calls this department. They will tell you HOW MUCH CONTROL they have over public (and in some states PRIVATE) land. Don't tell them you ARE biker, it may prejudice them in some way. You'll find with some research, some states are better than others for off-road bikes. Minnesota is kind of middle of the road, but with a short season. After you find out about Texas, go back to this thread and add to it with what you've found about it. Good luck!