Some more info for 05-07 KX owners.

Long story short. I have a hookup and got some work done (bottom end) and top end by an off-road race team in New Mexico. Sent my motor their. They had the 05's in EnduroCross and quite a bit of desert racing so they know about these bikes. Here is some information that may or may not be helpful to you.

I not only got the work done but I asked them if they found any clues to bad jetting, too much, too little oil, over extending the life of my pistons etc.

Some riding info. The bike has been trail ridden, motoed, and desert raced like a son of a gun since the beginning of 05.

Before I put down what they said I will list the oil, mixture, jetting and aftermarket stuff on my bike.

Keep in mind that I am not a jetting expert. Infact I am probably more of a Jetting Retard:bonk:, this bike was jetted and setup by the same people prior to being sent to me when I bought the bike 3 years ago.

Elevations: Sea Level Ranging from no humidity in SoCal to high humidity in Florida

Needle 1st clip (top)

Main AB160

Pilot 50

Air Screw: Wont touch it with a ten foot pole as the bike runs PERFECT

Motul 8002t @ 50:1 👍 (Don't get mad at me Jeekinz, 2Strokenut, KDXGarage, Chokey)

50/50 Race with 93 octane

FMF SST Pipe with Turbine Core 2

V-Force 3 Reeds

Head Milled

Some cylinder work ( I honestly couldn't tell you what exactly was done)

Stock Bottom End

NGK BR10EIX Iridium Spark Plug

Transmission Fluid: ATF type F changed every two rides and fresh tranny fluid regardless before every race

Now onto the condition:

I got a phone call saying they could just send this motor back as it had atleast 3 more top ends ready to go through. (Although my powervalve spring was broken:banghead:) The connecting rod was still in tolerance (side to side), crank was perfect. Powervalve looked like it soaked in solvent for 10 days, cylinder perfect. Everything was perfect!

Since I sent it all the way out their I decided just to do the main bearings, connecting rod and seals and obviously a new piston since they had it apart.

While the motor was gone I had time to dive into everything else.

Transmission gears and other assorted doodads, perfect.

Carburetor: You know that weird looking different color residue that forms all over the place in most carbs? Their was literally nothing clogged anywhere and no residue throughout the whole carb. I did take it apart and soak everything for piece of mind though.

I am in no way trying to preach anything about oil mixture or make any etchings in stone about my philosophy on anything! I am just putting out some info and feedback from a very great source.

Greg

P.S. I dedicate this thread to 2strokenut as he gave me the idea with his testing thread that he started.

Long story short. I have a hookup and got some work done (bottom end) and top end by an off-road race team in New Mexico. Sent my motor their. They had the 05's in EnduroCross and quite a bit of desert racing so they know about these bikes. Here is some information that may or may not be helpful to you.

I not only got the work done but I asked them if they found any clues to bad jetting, too much, too little oil, over extending the life of my pistons etc.

Some riding info. The bike has been trail ridden, motoed, and desert raced like a son of a gun since the beginning of 05.

Before I put down what they said I will list the oil, mixture, jetting and aftermarket stuff on my bike.

Keep in mind that I am not a jetting expert. Infact I am probably more of a Jetting Retard:bonk:, this bike was jetted and setup by the same people prior to being sent to me when I bought the bike 3 years ago.

Elevations: Sea Level Ranging from no humidity in SoCal to high humidity in Florida

Needle 1st clip (top)

Main AB160

Pilot 50

Air Screw: Wont touch it with a ten foot pole as the bike runs PERFECT

Motul 8002t @ 50:1 👍(Don't get mad at me Jeekinz, 2Strokenut, KDXGarage, Chokey)

50/50 Race with 93 octane

FMF SST Pipe with Turbine Core 2

V-Force 3 Reeds

Head Milled

Some cylinder work ( I honestly couldn't tell you what exactly was done)

Stock Bottom End

NGK BR10EIX Iridium Spark Plug

Transmission Fluid: ATF type F changed every two rides and fresh tranny fluid regardless before every race

Now onto the condition:

I got a phone call saying they could just send this motor back as it had atleast 3 more top ends ready to go through. (Although my powervalve spring was broken:banghead:) The connecting rod was still in tolerance (side to side), crank was perfect. Powervalve looked like it soaked in solvent for 10 days, cylinder perfect. Everything was perfect!

Since I sent it all the way out their I decided just to do the main bearings, connecting rod and seals and obviously a new piston since they had it apart.

While the motor was gone I had time to dive into everything else.

Transmission gears and other assorted doodads, perfect.

Carburetor: You know that weird looking different color residue that forms all over the place in most carbs? Their was literally nothing clogged anywhere and no residue throughout the whole carb. I did take it apart and soak everything for piece of mind though.

I am in no way trying to preach anything about oil mixture or make any etchings in stone about my philosophy on anything! I am just putting out some info and feedback from a very great source.

Greg

P.S. I dedicate this thread to 2strokenut as he gave me the idea with his testing thread that he started.

Hey its your bike:smirk:

Testing is fun ain't it?🤣

Ya testing is fun...Until you go the wrong way with your rear shock setting and almost get sent over the bars in 5th gear! "Yep, that was the wrong way to go!"🤣

Haha damn is that what happened? At least you can still type:smirk:

Its amazing how durable and effective these bikes are. So many people write them off but hey their loss. I thought about getting a KTM but I can't justify it with how good mine is right now.

I have an FMF fatty if you wanna do a FATTY vs SST test 👍

I'm saying that testing is scary sometimes when it comes to suspension. I'll feel great like the susp. couldn't get any better, click the comp up or down or something, and feel even better!. Then the flipside of that, I have a panic rev and a puckered a-hole!

What do you want for it? I'm sure I'll destroy my SST this season. I already took one out beginning of last year, got it repaired, destroyed it the very first ride:banghead: and had to buy a new one. I can never have too many spare pipes.

What do you want for it? I'm sure I'll destroy my SST this season. I already took one out beginning of last year, got it repaired, destroyed it the very first ride:banghead: and had to buy a new one. I can never have too many spare pipes.

Probably 100. Need to make up the cost of the PC system haha. Let me know if you wanna try the ignition too.