Best Beginner MX Track in San Diego Area?

I haven't ridden MX or really done any jumps in a few years now, and I just got back into dirt riding. I'm loving the desert so far but I've found that I no longer really have the cajones to go out for the big terrain jumps out there. I'm great at bombing the whoops and flat tracking the big berms though.

So I guess what I'm looking for, the question I'm trying to ask is what San Diego area track has the smallest/most beginner friendly jumps so I can get back into catching air? I just want to ease myself back into hitting the easier table tops and doubles before I go out for the bigger ones.

For you SD riders, would anyone want to go out for a track day and give me some pointers on hitting the jumps at an "easy" MX track down here?

That track does look nice but its a bit of a trek for only being open for 6 hrs. The video on the main page of their site shows a track that looks like it would be perfect for me to "warm up" on. I'll definitely check it out sometime soon.

wow, one would think 6 hours would be plenty of time to get some laps in, even for a pro.

For something closer with longer hours, Pala has a nice facility as well, and several tracks to choose from. True, it can get busy, but the crowds come and go.

That track does look nice but its a bit of a trek for only being open for 6 hrs. The video on the main page of their site shows a track that looks like it would be perfect for me to "warm up" on. I'll definitely check it out sometime soon.

http://www.calvmx.net/

This is out near Otay Lakes. Run by the vintage motocross group but you don't have to be on a vintage bike to go.

I don't ride motocross, but a bug up my butt and my continuing midlife crisis is making me think about getting a motocross bike to mess around with this year.

Anyway, I went to this track one Sunday just to check it out - no one there but it was raining pretty good. Real basic track. Call for hours when they are open.

FYI, looks like a moto clinic this Sunday. $75 Not a bad deal.

I agree Pala Amature track is great to get your jumping skills back in order. very beginner friendly.

If it still looks anything like this I think it may be the perfect trick to get my jumping skills back. Looks like an easy enough track with very forgiving jumps.

Thanks all for the advice. I plan on hitting up the Pala Amateur track soon.

I am NOT a track guy but go to Pala 5-6 times a year because my so loves it and it's the closet to our house. We have taken 10+ people there for their first 'track' experience as well. I've never been on the amateur track yet but all the people we bring go there for a bit....only (1) of them, a 14 year old beginner on an 85, spends any significant time over there. All the rest get bored and move one to the Vet track which is where I stay all the time.

The Vet track is great and even though there are some great riders that like to poach on it and show off, they are pretty respectful over all. If you hold your line, you'll have no problems. As far as crowds, I've never been on a saturday but have gone on several sundays and I've never felt in any danger (or worried about my kids) on the Vet track.

We'll be going at least 1-2 times in the next month or two if you want to meet us to hang out. I'm just getting over a busted femur and may skip the track this summer but we still go out and I have fun watching everybody else in the group. If I remember this thread, I'll send you a PM when we go.

A lil more info for ya from a total track NOVICE:

Cahuilla: Vet track is fun but few jumps of any kind. More of a GP type layout. I've had issues there where good riders puprposely cut in front of me to spray dirt/mud. Their Main track is loaded with VERY FAST riders and I couldn't get off that thing fats enough.

Barona: Super fun Main track but with jumps too big for me and too crowded for my tastes. Better riders were respectful. Would be awesome if I was a better rider. Not much else there though. The other track was waste of time.

Amago: Not sure if it's even still open. Vet track is twisty, windy, cool jumps and built into the side of the hill. This was teh favorite track of most people I ride with. I like the Main track there as my favorite. Long, stretched out GP layout with table tops and even a nice drop into a hairpin turn. Like the fact that it has elevation changes. This place had tons of potential but they have no money for upkeep, improvements, etc and very few will drive *past* Pala another 20 miles to get there.

Thanks for the info k2rider! Very helpful. I'd love to meet up with you for a track day next month. Definitely let me know what day you're going so I can head up at the same time.

I think I'm going to do Ocotillo Wells before I hit the track again so I can practice on some natural terrain jumps some more before I get out with the big boys. It's always fun trying to find decent terrain jumps on a trail ride anyways.

I was able to find track video of Amago on youtube from as late as 6 months ago, but they don't seem to have a website you can visit.

Pala seems to be the best bet for me as I can work my way up from the easier tracks to the main track by the end of the day (hopefully 👍).

Again, thanks for all the info everybody!

Oh yeah, and I'm still looking for anyone who wants to hit Pala with me in a few weeks or so. My girlfriend wants to watch but she isn't good enough to even want to attempt the easy track yet, and I could use a friend out there to give me some pointers on technique if anyone is willing.

I would go with you Joel, but I don't want you to feel like you're being showed up by your little brother =D

don't get hurt, have fun.

hopefully we'll be able to get another weekend together, you know, where it doesn't rain.

👍

Ethan, the weekend after next we're gonna do Ocotillo Wells (2Apr10-5Apr10) and it might be fun to do a track day at Pala on the way out. I think Jim is gonna come down with his cousin's two CRF450's and his camper. And we might be able to get Shawna's roommate's boyfriend to come out with his bike and a quad too.

If you're good enough to be scouting out jumps at OW, you'll be bored of the amatuer track after 5 minutes. Their Main/Pro track is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, you gotta be good to clear everything there.

If you're good enough to be scouting out jumps at OW, you'll be bored of the amatuer track after 5 minutes. Their Main/Pro track is at the complete opposite end of the spectrum, you gotta be good to clear everything there.

I only have the guts to go out to like 10 feet or so (distance) with easy launches, any bigger and I get loose in my bowels 👍

I used to go out for much bigger on my XT225 (haha yes I know, completely wrong bike for the application, that's why I sold it, but I still had fun shocking the heck out of everyone, especially when I took her out to the track), and I guess I really want to get rid of the loose bowel syndrome and the MX track has easier safer jumps that I can build my skill back on. But I still have fun hunting for easy jumps out in the desert.

I'm hoping I can get bored at the amateur track real quick and get back on to the bigger stuff, but we'll see.