Shims under spring seats

I am rebuilding a 02 crf450 i bought used and found some washers

under the intake valve spring seats used to shim the spring seats

also known as lower collars. It appears they were used to stiffen the springs. The valves appear to be kibble white black diamond.the springs have an inner and outer spring as used by kibble white. I talked to the local honda shop and called kibble white techincal dept. So far no one has knowledge of the shim

arrangement under the spring seats. I looked for aftermarket markings on the cam but found nothing. I am requesting help

if anyone has knowledge of this arrangement. Why the shims and if they are needed for trail riding applications.

Thanks

I am by no means an expert on 4 stroke heads. I purchase Kibblewhite stainless steel intake valves and the spring kit. The spring kit had an inner and outer spring for each intake valve. No shims were included or mentioned in the intallation instructions. The double springs are required to prevent "valve float" of the heavier stainless valves. Agent Smith (AS Racing) did an excellent job of rebuilding the head. It is still running great a year later with no valve adjustments with 40+ hours. I noticed no difference in the engine after switching to SS valves. Contact AS Racing and he might be able to advise you on why the shims are present. Good luck

Sometimes the spring need to be shimed to get the righ tension on them. I don`t care for the KW. double spring setup ,valves are ok. I chage my KW spring for the one`s that ron hemp use`s ,and like them much better. The vavles do not float know.