replacing front tire yz250 - should I go to a 90/100-21 from stock 80/100?

I am relatively new to MX and this is going to be my first new front tire for my 2006 YZ250. I went to look at the size and was suprised to see it was 80/100-21 as I thought most front tires were 90/100-21. Should I go to the 90 size or stick with what I have?

Stock I have a D739FA which feels flat and washy all the time, so I was thinking the D952 intermediate tire since I run at Englishtown, NJ on the track half the time and in the woods, both with varying types of dirt. It is going for about $50.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 06 yz250 and always used the 8-100 but my parts guy ordered me the 90-100 because he thought thats what i ran. He runs it on his 450. So i tryed it and will never go back to the 80-100. No i dont realy do track much at all just desert and single track. I think it grabs better and handles the rock deflections better. The dirt here in AZ is very hard and slipary compaired to NJ. I lived in NJ for 34 years.

Do not get an MX51 that front tire is grabage it loves to push n slide out like the crappy 739 that you have now I'm pretty much done with dunlop if they want to consider the MX 51 an upgrade to the 756 cause it's NOT!

Now with that said I have been running for the past few years kenda Washougal Sticky 90/100 front awesome tire performs just as good as the 756 it replaced.

The 90/100 does not so good sometimes in super soft sugar sand or real watery loose runny style mud the slightly wider tire will want to plane alittle easier instead of knifing through the soil like you'd want it to and at very low speeds the extra contact patch the tire provides makes the steering feel a tiny bit slower the only time I notice this is on pavement or really hard packed surfaces.

You would be hard pressed to notice this though and even in those same situations I described an 80/100 wouldn't do so hot in either.

I personally like the extra traction it provides cause I can rail corners easier and can find traction corners which allows me to dive inside more often I have no problem with it in ruts but the added traction will allow me to dive inside the line before the rut and I can skip using that line cause railing a rut isn't always faster no need to go where everyone else go's all the time.