Sign in to follow this  

1st oil / tranny change

This is my first honda four stroke and took it out to break it in today. I want to put in golden spectro non synthetic 10 40 in the oil and tranny for the first change. The second change I will go with the honda oil and tranny specific stuff. Is this okay or should I use the tranny specific and oil specific for first change?

The bike ran great today by the way. It has all the usual mods (minus suspension). I bought a turntech battery and it worked great. It was crazy how loose the spokes were from the shop.

The 09 YZ250 smoker is getting ready for sale. I have only ridden it maybe 10 times and I am going to try sticking with the X for a while.

Thanks for all of the help so far!

Is this okay or should I use the tranny specific and oil specific for first change?

run a full quart of the honda red bottle always. 👍

Run a full qt in the trans and in the engine fill it to the full mark. I wouldnt hesitate to run it for a while on spectro as a break in oil. imo

does anyone kno the best way to clean re-usable oil filters?

For the Scotts one all I use is carb cleaner and then hot soapy water to rinse it from the inside out. After that I hit it with compressed air to dry it out.

does anyone kno the best way to clean re-usable oil filters?

Mineral Spirits. I use a clear plastic bowl with lid. Let it sit for a day and any garbage will settle to the bottom for viewing. Pour off the clear spirits to another temporary container then clean the bowl and reuse the old spirits.

Mineral Spirits. I use a clear plastic bowl with lid. Let it sit for a day and any garbage will settle to the bottom for viewing. Pour off the clear spirits to another temporary container then clean the bowl and reuse the old spirits.

I've never let it sit, do you get more stuff out that way? I've always just rinsed it with spirits (paint thinner works too) then blow it out with compressed air.