xr650l cutting at idle

hi all,

in need of advice:

my friends' xr650l starts fine with but after some seconds to a minute start to slow a bit and then stops abruptly. will restart immediately and sound fine but again will die after a short time.

no problems apparent at above idle or higher revs. checked a few components by replacement with good known parts (of my own bike that run good): plug, coil and HT wire, CDI, checked air filter and airways, disassembled and cleaned card etc.

have no idea now what to check next: erratic pickup coil? faulty wires? what more?

thanks for any input...

Sounds like a carb problem. Clean the jets well with some carb cleaner and a brush, guitar string, air compressor, ultrasonic and then take it to the local church to exorcise any demons that may be haunting it.

Seriously, you havn't cleaned the carb yet? And take time to verify your vacuum lines are not plugged full of dirt and mud, I've seen that before too.

as written, i already disassembled and cleaned the carb.

will check for vacuum line fault, though.

as for fuel flow, at higher revs it runs quite ok, and fuel lines are open.

will check CDI to coil wire loom and engine compression tomorrow.

thanx to all repliers

as written, i already disassembled and cleaned the carb.

will check for vacuum line fault, though.

as for fuel flow, at higher revs it runs quite ok, and fuel lines are open.

will check CDI to coil wire loom and engine compression tomorrow.

thanx to all repliers

If you can get it to not start for a smal amount of time,check for spark...if it gets worse check for fire then.....if you don`t get fire PM me......

B

carb was disassembled and seems original mostly: 152/50 (short) jets, uncut slosh baffle etc. though some previous owner did cut the limiting tab off the fuel screw, shimmed the needle and uncorked the air box ( a la dave style but without going all the way).

tested (AVO) coil and pickup, bypassed most off the looming etc.

while at it, checked valve clearances and found high variations and drifting so since we were "bored" and had nothing better to do, pulled out the head for inspection.

valves, rockers and head seem fine after cleaning. will clean piston a bit from carbon buildup (since we are already there). tomorrow will reassemble and test everything again.

more to com...