XT225 -> CBR600RR wheels/brakes conversion

Hey, I have an 01 XT225 (kickstart, Z1mod, airbox mod,) and a wrecked 03 CBR600RR. I was wondering if the wheels/tires and maybe brakes would fit on the XT225? I plan on getting some 18" supermoto wheels but cannot find any what are affordable. Even the stock rear wheel from Yamaha is $300+. So if I could do a brake/ wheel swap this would save me a ton of money. The tire sizes are 120/70ZR17 front and 180/55-17 rear.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks

EDIT: kinda off topic, Ive been looking into the F-450 class where motocross bikes are fitted with the front/rear suspension from sportbikes. Are there any reasons this wouldnt work on an XT?

Off hand, I say no. So much so that I'd bet money on it.

However, it's possible that it might work, perhaps for the rear. What I'd do first is measure the diameter of the axles. If it's not the same, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

But let's say it does. Pull the wheels off and see how it matches up. Again, I'd bet dollars to donuts that it won't work, but if it might.

Most people go with TT-R225 rims which as you've discovered seem to be worth their weight in gold.

I typically stick with the same manufacturer when I can and I wouldn't be surprised if YZ wheels would work, but finding a 18" front rim is going to be difficult. I would just stick with the 21" front rim I run my XT550 on the street all the time and it's fine with the 21" front rim. I also like bad-ass illegal looking knobbies on the XT too.

Good luck.

axles are just bearing swaps or some machine work . Doable.

But I think most of the guys doing these wheel swaps are able to do the machining themselves. If not and you need things like caliper mounting brackets and such it's going to add up quickly. Still lots of guys have done it fairly cheaply so it can be done.

Personally I don't like the look of the street wheels on dirt bikes, but that's preference.

What Smarcaroni said, you'd likely be VERY surprised at now nice the bikes are with stock rims and street rubber. Believe they call it the Sportsmans setup and it's what I have on my 350 now. Amazingly good and if I'm still not sure it's worth it do go to all the hassle and expense for 17". I'll probably end up doing it for the look and the lowering of the bike that I will enjoy, but it's a lot of money...........

Thanks for the help guys, Ill throw the parts on ebay asap and start my search for a spare set of 18s.

You mentioned that a YZ wheel might fit? Where/ who has the info about what wheels will fit what bike? I was kind of hoping there was some sort of Tirerack for bikes.

Thanks again

I saw some posts on the xt forum and it looks like the easiest / cheapest way is to use the stock front hub, buy some spokes, and find a suitable 18" rim.. this should run about 150-200$ plus tires

yes that would be the easiest way is to find a rim that will fit, correct number of spokes and angles, then find the right length of spokes and just lace it up.

not sure exactly what supermoto tires are available in 18" but im sure you can find something sticky

If you read the link I posted, that probably isn't necessary, although I myself have not tried it, yet.

You'll need the entire brake system and the caliper bracket, you'll need to fabricate a master cyl. mount.

I did this on the DR-Z/KX swing arm swap and it takes much less time than it would to lace/true a wheel. The bonus is you get a rear disk brake.

If you read the link I posted, that probably isn't necessary, although I myself have not tried it, yet.

You'll need the entire brake system and the caliper bracket, you'll need to fabricate a master cyl. mount.

I did this on the DR-Z/KX swing arm swap and it takes much less time than it would to lace/true a wheel. The bonus is you get a rear disk brake.

the xt has a really small axle compared to the yz, not sure how easy that swap would be.

a drz and a kx have a close if not the same axle diameter

jmho

XT and TT-R use the same size axle and a very similar hub. This one has a YZ rear wheel assembly and brake assembly.

100_3628.jpg

The KX/DR-Z comment was regarding making the bracket that you would need for the master. I think we spent about 20 minutes making that bracket.

It was something like this, except this is actually an XT225:

newhub7.jpg