'00 KDX200 w/ KX125 front end

I have been seriously considering this modification to my KDX. I have access to most of the parts, forks, front wheel, triple clamps, front brake. Is there any particular years of a KX 125 or 250 I should be looking for. Maybe one year had better forks than another, etc... My only concern that I have is that my Scotts steering stabalizer post that's welded on won't line up with the new stuff. Hate to cut it off and reweld it as the frame is powdercoated. I heard Ron Black down at RB Designs in Oregon can punch out the KX steering stem and put the KDX one in its place and make some sort of a spacer for the upper triple clamp, but am not sure. Any tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated.

Little Jeff

I've done it and it's well worth the time & $'s. You don't need to send it to Ron if you have access to a press you can do it yourself. As far as the top spacer most just use shim stock, I did and it's simple & cheap and works. Matter of fact if that's the way to go send me a PM and I think I still have a piece of the shim stock that I could send you.

Some years of KDX stems need to be knurled to fit the KX T-clamp.

Go to KDXrider.net and they have a list of year that the stems does and doesn't need knurling. My 06 stem pressed right into my 02 T-clamps just fine.

Do it!

Ron can press the stem and provide you with a very nice bushing for the top clamp. You can also use shim stock as MXoldtimer said, and press it yourself. When I did mine Ron wasn't providing this service yet, I used a local machine shop to press the stem into a lower triple. I used a yz250 front on mine, and the lower triple had to be bored a bit to accept the KDX stem. It all ends up in pretty similar position when it's bolted up, I think your stabilizer mount will be ok.......