should i get rid of my 06 200 xc-w and get a 07 250 sx-f?

Have a 4-stroke for my dualsport and like the versatility. Love the weight and instant power of my 200 XC-W though. I think a little easier on the maintenance, but it's the overall characteristics of the bike that I like. Nice low end, but always that 2T hit when you want it. Probably depends on the kind of riding you are doing as well.

That's apples and pears, man. Have you ridden 4 strokes? Do you like the engine characteristics? That's the thing which most differentiates one from the other. I'm brooming out all the 4t's in favor of pingers; I just like them better.

Got back into off-road riding and thought that I would get with the latest trend. Had the 2008 530 EXC-R. Liked that it was street legal, but all that valve & timing chain noise, servicing expense, potential overheating, and 30-lbs extra weight kind of left me no so enthused. After 1000 miles…..traded in on the 250 XC-W.

Zero regrets. The only way YOU will know is to give one a try.

2970e40b.jpg

I got that grass is greener fever and ended up with an SXF for a little while, but I came to my senses and realized why I left the 4 stroke in the first place. IF I was going to have another 4 stroke, it would definitely have an E start.

I rode a 250F Honda the other day and it felt very sluggish compared to my bike. I have no desire to go that route again. Kicking them sucks. Not to mention the maintenance.

I just did a topend on my 200 after 200+ hrs, and it cost me a little over $200. 👍

I can't afford a 4 stroke. They have 2 oil filters and require frequent changes, plus the valve maintenance. They feel more planted, but that's about the only advantage.

They are fun when you first ride them because it's something different.

Loved my 04 yz450f. Never touched a thing on it for 3 years except the regular oil changes and tightening the chain.🙂 I did not ride it a whole lot overall though. I like the thumper better for the riding I do, it suits me better. But if any one wants to give away a 2 stroke, pm me.👍:applause: Traded it for a trail machine though. Sure do miss the power, but the xr was better in the bush. Just sold that and got a wr250r, hope I did not mess up on that choice!!!🤣

Overall, this bike bike cost me reg maintenance, and that is it. It was solid. Ride what you are comfortable with.

i have a buddy will and 07 crf 250 and another friend with an 06 rmz 250 and they never have to work on their bikes but other people always talk about having to do stuff to their 4t's and my friends dont? i guess they just got lucky on their bikes or something

I too have come back to a 2T.

I was furtunate not to have a major breakdown on the 4T but there is great potential for expensive repairs in the valve train, cam chain, cam chain tensioners, cams themselves and regrinding the heads when replacing valves. If you are not very regular about oil & air filter maintenance you can easily end up with a top end repair costing 800 to 1000 bucks.

Our 2T don't have any of those parts to go bad or need adjusting. So even a piston, rings & gaskets should only cost a bit over $200.

the 2T is much easier to work on yourself (so you aren't paying a shop their $60 per hour labor rate).

But for me it is the instant power & light weight that gives me the edge in the single track trails.