Having trouble finding people to go ride with.

Does anyone else have problems finding people to ride with. I live at a place where I can ride right out my front door? I never thought I would have that problem when I moved out here. I ride by myself 90 percent of the time. I do enjoy riding alone from time to time but to do it all the time gets old and is dangerous. A good example is this weekend I wanted to ride. I asked my wife if she wanted to ride her quad while I ride my bike. She doesnt like riding anymore. I asked my 14 year old daughter if she wanted to ride her quad. She didnt want to. I asked my son if he wanted to ride his dirtbike. He would rather play video games. The only kid i have that wanted to ride was my 5 year old daughter. But she doesnt go for long rides or at a pace my bike can slow down to. So I took off and had an ok ride and you guessed it I crashed pretty good on the way home. I was scraped and bruised but otherwise ok. It just enforced my feeling that it would have been nice to have someone to run for help or at least witness our ride. I guess I just dont get kids now cause when I was there age, if someone had said you want to ride a dirtbike, I would have jumped at the chance. I guess I have whined enough...Just it is kinda irking me and thought I would write about it.

• Like 1

I wish I could ride ride out my front door. Then again, if I did, I'd never see my son. As much as I like to ride, he's addicted. I only have trouble finding time to ride between everything else we do. The kids are in both high school and travel team sports, on top of that I have to get out and snowboard as well.

Just out of curiosity, where do you live in California that a quad can ride right out your front door? I get to experience that (7) days a year in Durango, Colorado and it's a blast. The best part is pulling right back in a safe, secure garage with an air conditioned house 20 feet away.

I live in Taft California. Yes I have been known to ride in the High dez also...Right now I do not have a pick up to carry my bike with so I have to make arrangements to take it out of my area. I will try and hang out more in the California forum. My son will ride from time to time but he likes to find an area and ride over and over in the same area...He doesnt like riding out to the tracks either. If i load his bike up into a truck and drop him off at a beginner track or an improvised track in the fields, then he is happy. If we go to Pismo he never leaves the camp. He is 13. My 14 year old daughter will go with me if I ask her enough but she just tags along and doesnt seem to really enjoy trying things on her quad. She likes spending time with me so I cant bitch about that. My wife was totally into quads when I met her and at the time I had jeeps and hadnt ridden in about 10 years she convinced me to ride quads and dirtbikes again....well we have been married for 6 years now and I have totally gone head over heals back into the dirtbike world while she just doesnt like going.

i ride 75% alone .... sometimes with daughter and sometimes with neighbor ....but is hard to find time when me and neighbor are off of work on same day ....and with this nice weather coming .... call me the lone rider!! no way im not going to ride cuz of a what if i crash......takes all the fun out of it.

if you ride like i do and want to progress than you will be crashing...nature of the beast....i have accepted that....i crash every other time i go out....and i also am getting better every time too...wont get better without seat time!!!! but im not jumping anything bigger than 45ft table and some doubles ....gotta do what ya love no matter what ...just my .02. i would be grumpy and irritable if i didn't get to ride couple times a week...

i ride 75% alone .... sometimes with daughter and sometimes with neighbor ....but is hard to find time when me and neighbor are off of work on same day ....and with this nice weather coming .... call me the lone rider!! no way im not going to ride cuz of a what if i crash......takes all the fun out of it.

if you ride like i do and want to progress than you will be crashing...nature of the beast....i have accepted that....i crash every other time i go out....and i also am getting better every time too...wont get better without seat time!!!! but im not jumping anything bigger than 45ft table and some doubles ....gotta do what ya love no matter what ...just my .02. i would be grumpy and irritable if i didn't get to ride couple times a week...

sounds word for word the same situation.

I live in Taft California. Yes I have been known to ride in the High dez also...Right now I do not have a pick up to carry my bike with so I have to make arrangements to take it out of my area. I will try and hang out more in the California forum. My son will ride from time to time but he likes to find an area and ride over and over in the same area...He doesnt like riding out to the tracks either. If i load his bike up into a truck and drop him off at a beginner track or an improvised track in the fields, then he is happy. If we go to Pismo he never leaves the camp. He is 13. My 14 year old daughter will go with me if I ask her enough but she just tags along and doesnt seem to really enjoy trying things on her quad. She likes spending time with me so I cant bitch about that. My wife was totally into quads when I met her and at the time I had jeeps and hadnt ridden in about 10 years she convinced me to ride quads and dirtbikes again....well we have been married for 6 years now and I have totally gone head over heals back into the dirtbike world while she just doesnt like going.

Sell her quad and get a second bike to introduce friends or coworkers to riding.

I have the same issue with Adults , when i want to go riding and i try to get people i know(that have dirtbikes) to go riding , its like i am asking them to put themselves out there for Prostitution , they say "yea it would be fun" but getting them to actually do it is another thing and i usually end up riding alone , which after breaking my neck last year , it makes me have to really think about it and if i am willing to take that chance of getting hurt and have no one there to help so i end up going riding somewhere that is boring and easy , because that place is "safer" than where i would usually go !

I know it isn't a good idea to force your kid to ride, but you can limit his video game playing. If he knows that he can't play games all day he might be willing to ride more.IMHO video games are turning our kids into lazy whimpy *******.

I totally agree on limiting video games. He doesnt play them all day...If he had his way he would though...Honestly I think he is afraid of the dirtbike. He is ok if he has a small track to go around on but if you take him on a road he has never been on he kinda panics. I dragged his bike from my house to a differnt area of the hills using my unregestered truck. He was ok riding in the new area. I then tried to take him on an easy ride. We went for about a 300 feet down a sand wash and he was totally freaked out by the soft sand and I had to go and ride his bike back to some hard pack. He got on his bike and rode right back to the staging area and then proceeded to ride around there for a while. I will admit he needs some manning up. I was just more adventurous when I was a kid.

I totally agree on limiting video games. He doesnt play them all day...If he had his way he would though...Honestly I think he is afraid of the dirtbike. He is ok if he has a small track to go around on but if you take him on a road he has never been on he kinda panics. I dragged his bike from my house to a differnt area of the hills using my unregestered truck. He was ok riding in the new area. I then tried to take him on an easy ride. We went for about a 300 feet down a sand wash and he was totally freaked out by the soft sand and I had to go and ride his bike back to some hard pack. He got on his bike and rode right back to the staging area and then proceeded to ride around there for a while. I will admit he needs some manning up. I was just more adventurous when I was a kid.

I think many people experience these problems. The best thing to do is to let the kid do what he wants. If you try to force him to do something he doesn't want to, he won't like it. I know when I first started riding I didnt want to and would struggle. So I took a break for a few years and got back into it. Now I can't get away from motocross.

I think many people experience these problems. The best thing to do is to let the kid do what he wants. If you try to force him to do something he doesn't want to, he won't like it. I know when I first started riding I didnt want to and would struggle. So I took a break for a few years and got back into it. Now I can't get away from motocross.

Well that is kinda how I feel also on this but it is killing me waiting for him to want to do it. lol. Plus I spent money on a bike that is his size and skill level. XR100. I am thinking by the time he gets the bug he will be ready for a full size bike at least size wise.

I know the kids and family will do what they want. I started this thread really cause I was just tired of riding alone. On the few times I have ridden with people I pushed myself alot harder and learned at a much quicker rate...Only so much you can do when no one is there to push your carry your carcass back home.

Yeah true. I don't really have the trouble of finding people to ride with and even if no one wants to ride, I will just ride with the people at the track. Maybe you need to get a truck and go to some of the prepped practices and meet new people.

that sounds good...except I dont ride track very often...I have ridden during a practice session once. I am working towards getting a truck right now. I have the truck already but do not have the transfer paper work done..(long story). I currently work in Bakersfield CA but am changing jobs to a job closer to my house so hopefully some of my new co workers will be dirtbikers.