kx250 idles way too fast

well when i cold start my 02 kx250 with the choke pulled it idle was to much way up in the rpms and you have to tap the kill switch like 3 times for it to idle right. i can get to to start without the choke but if its really cold i have to use the choke..and another thing mine is all stock and some of my friends say to keep it that way. cause i was going to buy a full procircuit pipe but they say to keep it stock. heres a pic of it

CIMG0263.jpg

Edited by Elementx665

My 2000 kx250 idles high almost every time i start it cold with the choke. It has a full pro circuit exhaust on it now. I just take off the choke immediately and it idles fine the rest of the day after that. My dad has a bone stock 00' kx250 and his does the exact same thing. It really freaked him out the first time he cold started it.Ive heard this is common with these bikes and is nothing to be worried about.

My KX's do the same thing. I flip the choke on-off-on-off-on until the RPM's come down and leave the choke on for a few seconds. Hitting the kill switch may lead to a fouled plug.

Exactly. on/off with the choke until the idle levels out.

• 2 weeks later...

i also have a kx250 and mine revs like crazy only when i use the choke, i hear jthere notorious for this. some solutions i have read but not tried yet are, 1. the bike is running too rich, or 2. a damaged/chipped reed. im almost positive im running too rich.

My {super low hour} 04 just started doing the same thing. Pulled the carb and the pilot was partially plugged. Cleaned it and everything is normal as far as not screaming at 9k rpm

My '00 was doing the same thing as well. Cleaned out the carb (float bowl, jets) and all good now. No more screaming idle at startup.

My '00 was doing the same thing as well. Cleaned out the carb (float bowl, jets) and all good now. No more screaming idle at startup.

that sounds like a good idea cause mine has not always done it, it just started doing it last fall.