How Much Is a 2002 EXC 400 Worth?

Hey guys...

I'm about to post a classified for my 2002 EXC400 but I can't seem to find a good baseline price to ask. The NADA price seems too low and the KBB price seems like it might be a bit high.

Usually, I would just check out some active listings but I can't find any on Ebay, Craigslist or here on Thumpertalk. Kelly Blue Book (which, I've been told doesn't do bikes that well) is saying it's worth $3015 but I'm not sure about that....

What would "the experts" (that's you guys 👍 ) suggest I ask?

Here are some pics:

IMG_0771.jpg

IMG_0772.jpg

IMG_0774.jpg

IMG_0773.jpg

I think you're in the low 2k's. I spent few months looking for 400's all around and a bike like this I think you could ask 2500$. It would be overpriced, but you put on new plastics and it seems like the basic maintenance has been done. What kind of state is the engine in and what has been done to it (ie. new valves, valve check history, new rings, piston, hrs on the bike) having these things documented could help you get 2500$. I'm no expert! Just throwing my honest opinion out there.

I'd agree with mylsmkj on that, $2500 is probably top dollar. I just sold my 2002 HTR 350 (250 EXC with big bore kit) a couple of months ago, which is damn near the same bike as your 400, and I had documented all of the maintenance, etc (new top end and tranny overhaul with less than 20 hours) and got $2300 for it. It had all the regular extras, including a second tank/seat/shrouds setup, and to tell the truth I would have probably gone as low as $2000 on it if it didn't sell really quick. 👍

• 2 years later...

What's up, fellas...

So, I've been trying off and on to sell this bike for a couple years now, to no avail. I know the economy is bad and times are tough but I just can't get any serious buyers. All I'm getting is low-ball offers and "tire kickers".

I'm thinking, at this point, that parting it out might be a better option. What do you guys think? I'm of the opinion that I might get more money selling the parts than I would if it were to be sold as a complete bike...

I have a 2000 400EXC that is a backup to my 2008 450EXC. It is plated in MT. I would take $2,000 for it if I wanted to sell it. I have had it since it was new so I know where it has been and how it has been maintained. The buyer would be told it may last forever or it may blow up on the first ride. Everything works as it should right now.

From the looks of yours $2,500 sounds like a price one should be willing to pay for a 2002. At that age maintenance and care have more to do with value than the notion of depreciation on a fairly rare piece of machinery.

Edited by Bullet

I just sold an 04 400exc with a Rekluse, stabilizer, 453 kit, all the Flatland bits with plates in good shape for $2,200. The market is poor.

Yeah, exactly! ...and mine is 2 years older than yours.

So what do you think about parting my bike out? I figure I could get approx $500 for the engine, maybe another $500-$600 for the rims, $400-$500 more for the forks, a few hundred for the swingarm, a couple hundred for the rear shock, etc. All said and told, I'm thinking I could get over $2000 for the parts...

Yeah, exactly! ...and mine is 2 years older than yours.

So what do you think about parting my bike out? I figure I could get approx $500 for the engine, maybe another $500-$600 for the rims, $400-$500 more for the forks, a few hundred for the swingarm, a couple hundred for the rear shock, etc. All said and told, I'm thinking I could get over $2000 for the parts...

I can buy new KTM factory rims for $600 a set, think around $200 for the rear, a fair bit less for the small axle front.

Swingarm, maybe $60.

Engine, $500+ is reasonable.

Forks around $75 to $150 for the old 43mm.

Shock, maybe $150. I just bought an 07 shock just rebuilt for $150.

Is your frame street titled? That may bring you $300+ if it's in good condition.

Calipers, front $75, rear, whatever you can get now.

Carb, $150.

I think you're not going to be as happy parting it out as you think. Remember, KTM revamped the suspension, front wheel, upgraded FCR and a few other things in 03.

The bike looks really nice. I'd keep your ads up until fall and if there's no bites then part it out.

I can buy new KTM factory rims for $600 a set, think around $200 for the rear, a fair bit less for the small axle front. 300 would be good

Swingarm, maybe $60. 25-50

Engine, $500+ is reasonable. maybe 600-700

Forks around $75 to $150 for the old 43mm. 75 would be doing good

Shock, maybe $150. I just bought an 07 shock just rebuilt for $150. 75 would be doing good

Is your frame street titled? That may bring you $300+ if it's in good condition. 50-75 would be doing good 150 w/ title

Calipers, front $75, rear, whatever you can get now. complete Ft& rear 50-75 ea

Carb, $150. 75 (you can get a 07+ gen 3 for 150)

I think you're not going to be as happy parting it out as you think. Remember, KTM revamped the suspension, front wheel, upgraded FCR and a few other things in 03.

The bike looks really nice. I'd keep your ads up until fall and if there's no bites then part it out.

I agree on the not going to be happy part. There are so many 07+ rf4 partouts that newer better parts can be had cheaper. I've put together 3 SXF based hybrid bikes in the last 1.5 years from parts so I have a pretty good idea what things are sellign for.

I'll disagree on the frame, worthless with no title but lately titled frames have been going up some. I was trying to be a bit optimistic on the rest.

I have not noticed that, but i havent need to buy any that recently. The last (street) plated frame I bought was a 08 xcf that i paid $225 for shipped.

The three hybrids I have were peiced together from ebay and KTM talk. The cost of all parts to make the complete rollers were 1050 (lowest) and 1515(highest).

Though cali prices seem to be considerably higher for anythign plated

Edited by jar944